Black Macbook SR RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BIK, Jan 3, 2008.

1. BIK macrumors member

BIK

I recently purchased a Santa Rosa Blackbook. Rather than pay 800 to apple for 4gigs of ram, I have elected to purchase and install the RAM myself. Prices seem to be fluctuating online. About a month ago, crucial was selling the 4 gig kit for 170, and today lists it for 120. Are there any other websites selling RAM that would work with my laptop at a reasonable price?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Two favorites among USA MR members are Data Memory Systems and OWC

Would help if we know where you were located, its a worldwide forum here.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OWC and DMS both come highly recommended here. Quality RAM with a solid warranty and customer service at good prices.

Edit: Damn RAM. :rolleyes: :p

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't recommend the Geil modules with the heatsinks, nor the Kingston ValueRAM, for use in Macbooks or iMac Intels.

MR Guide to Buying RAM

5. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

I am located in the Eastern U.S.

Thank you for that newegg link heatmiser, could you all peruse those and tell me which are the highest quality?

So far in this thread I have established that I should avoid Geil and Kingston.

I had anticipated paying 120 for 4 gigs of RAM from crucial. How is OCZ and PNY?

Again, this is for a SR Blackbook 2.2ghz.

Thanks for the help so far

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I found 4 GB of ram for like 34.99 per 2 GB chip at New Egg... with free shipping too. Go check around. I think was was ADATA or something but it's got a lifetime warranty so it's all good. :)

7. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

:eek:

Reading the RAM buyers guide on here I was scared to buy cheaper priced RAM. How has your experience been with that RAM?

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I'm a recent switcher (got myself a new 2.2 macbook for christmas) and I have always had good luck with kingston ram on my PCs.

I realized in no time that the stock 1GB was no where near enough ram after I installed fusion w/ windows vista, so I ordered up 4GB kingston ram for my macbook from newegg 2 days ago. You guys got me crossing my fingers now, lol.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There's a difference between the Kingston ValueRAM (KVR-series, their generic line) and the specific modules they sell for Macs, the KTA- series. The Kingston KTA- series are fine for Macs.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can either scare yourself into paying more, or become an educated consumer and think for yourself when it's time to buy! It takes 30 seconds to scan the reviews on Newegg for sticks that have been used by Macbook/Pro owners; why not do this for yourself, instead of blindly trusting the MR guide, or any guide? :^)

11. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

So here's the question

If you guys were to buy 4 gigs of RAM and wanted to spend less than 100 dollars SHIPPED, what RAM would you get?

12. Matek macrumors 6502a

Like heatmiser said - educate yourself. Your Mac needs DDR2 667 laptop ram - beyond that you can hardly go wrong, especially if they give you lifetime warranty. The "Mac Memory" is nothing but regular memory that was tested in a Mac by the company that makes it and then sold for a much higher price to uneducated customers. Also, don't bother buying sets of two sticks if they're more epensive than buying two pieces of a single stick - also one of the marketing tricks. You can get a single stick for about 35 USD at the moment.

And I'm not just blabbering about this - I have A-DATA (one of the cheapest ones) and they work just fine.

13. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

Thank you so much for the input so far friends. I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a couple sticks of this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208323

Transcend 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory

$36.99
    ($26.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)

What are all of your thoughts? aphexacid, a user of this board recommended them to me.

Thanks again for all the input so far.

14. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

Installed the ^ RAM today

It was quick, easy, and painless.

BOY Does this badboy FLY with 4 gigs of RAM instead of 1...