black macbook versus my current pc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcewen98, May 20, 2007.

1. mcewen98 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently realized that macrumors had a forum, and I have a question. I've pretty much decided that a black macbook fits what I need. I know all about the macbook and the issues people have with the GMA950 video card versus the macbook pro. I was wondering how it would compare to my aging PC, which is an 2gz AMD 2800+, 1gb ram, and an ATI 9600pro 128mb video card. Games (mostly HL2 and CSS) can be a little slow, but overall it's fine for the limited amount of time that I actually play games. Applications such as Adobe Lightroom are can be noticeably slow.

Can I expect better, worse, or equal performance from a macbook? Oh, and part of the time I will probably be using a 1680x1050 20" LCD. When I do this I'll probably turn off the main laptop display.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Games like HL2 are going to be horrible under normal settings. Other tasks should be fine. Macbooks are SIMPLE gaming machines, that's it.

3. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Do not buy the Macbook if u are expecting to game on it. It is pointless. even the MBP is not an amazing gaming machine.