Black Macbook vs. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shackler, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Can someone justify the huge price difference to me im trying to decide between the two. i have decide not to wait any longer its just a matter of which one.
    i will be doing school work, web browsing, email, itunes, iwork, etc. and it will be my main computer and i also need it to last me for a awhile.
    so if u were me what would u get?

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

For you, the Macbook.

The MBP has a bigger screen and better graphics. So unless your doing heavy video or photography editing then go for the Macbook.

By the way theres TONS of threads just like this one.

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Link.
    I say get the top-end white macbook and do it up.

4. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i agree with every one. just buy a really good macbook, max ram etc. you will be very happy with it.

5. dual64bit macrumors 6502

I've had (and have) MacBook and MacBook Pro.

The MacBook is great, fully portable, however I love having a larger screen of the MacBook Pro (especially since it's LED back lit unlike the current MacBooks).

The MacBook pro also has some of the extra bells and whistles like back lit keyboard.

Just depends if you can afford to spend the extra money and if you really need the more portability the MacBook has to offer. The MacBook is a great machine, it will do everything you need to do by the sounds of it, both will do everything you've mentioned well.

6. robby818 macrumors 6502a

i sold a black macbook and got a macbook pro recently. i opted for a refurb pro unit, which brought the price down to $1700.

1. the 2" larger screen is a big difference. also LED backlit is better, apple says that LED is not any brighter, but to me the LED looks way brighter and colors look better.

2. i bought the macbook because i wanted a more portable laptop, but as it turned out the macbook is quite heavy and not really as portable as say my thinkpad x61s. i felt like the macbook and macbook pro weighed about the same (enter the macbook air)

3. i liked the keyboard on the macbook better. the pro feels a little too soft.

4. performance wise most benchmarks show that the pro and macbook are pretty close in performance but i have to say that the pro feels faster to me.

5. the macbook's black paint stained (fingerprint oil) easily and was hard to keep clean. i like the aluminum a little better, although it's been around too long and needs to be refreshed.

7. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

ok thats all good.
    what about battery 5 hours for both?
    and the overall longevity of the computer? how many years could it last?

8. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

>=5 years?

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You're more likely to reach 5 hrs on the MacBook than on the Pro

10. ewxlt macrumors regular

The screen size is a huge consideration.

Consider your needs from there.

The percentage of folks who could tell the difference between a 2.2mhz and a 2.4 processor is very very small.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just made this decision too. I went for the MBP because of the larger screen.

12. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

The Macbook would be perfect for you. The macbook pro IMO is overkill, unless you're doing heavy video/audio/picture editing or a hardcore gamer.

13. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have had several MacBooks and they are just great machines but I now have a MacBook Pro 2.2. The LED screen (in my opinion) is just the brightest sharpest screen I've had in any notebook. I also like the back lit screen. So no regrets fro me on the MBP. If you have the money I think you'll really enjoy it.

14. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

thanks all.
    ive used the 1.83macbook before and it feel stoo slow to me. is there a big difference between that and SR?
    i think the MBP would be overkill so ill go for the blackbook and max out the ram which should add speed enough for me.

15. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't even buy the black Macbook if I were you. It's stupid imo to pay a premium for a color, which is really what you'd be doing.

I do literally the exact same things you do, and I have the higher end white Macbook. It's perfect for my needs. I've had it 7 months.

16. tobywuk macrumors member

I have 2.16 ghz 2gb black macbook and I love it. I use it at home and take it to university with me every day and it works perfectly and the battery lasts through the day. I also do image editing, coding and website development and I haven't had a single performance problem with it, its a very quick machine.

the screen is a nice size and is great when im out and about, but when im at home and im using duel screen (macbook screen and a 19" tft) it would be nice to have the 15" macbook pro but I guess with all the benefits there are downfalls.

Its a difficult choice but you wont be disappointed with a macbook.

17. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I recently sold my black macbook to get a macbook pro. The main reason for this was so I could game. If you don't game then the macbook will do most things you throw at it. I've done heavy photoshop/illustrator work, audio recording and mixing, light vjing, and the usual general stuff and it was fine.

The black finish is nice and unique, but it does smudge very very easily. The same spec white version is cheaper, and does not smudge. However it may scratch easier, so bear than in mind.

So unless you know you'll need the dedicated graphics or larger monitor, a macbook will be ideal for you. The macbook is much more portable - just buy a sleeve for it and you can carry it round in a backpack. Also do not forget about educational discount.

18. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

One of the considerations I had in mind was portability, and I liked the compactness of the MB - I know some people prefer the bigger screen of the MBP, but the MB does me just fine. I just need to get some more RAM for it, as the 512MB is a bit small.

For what you want to do, I think the MB is fine.

19. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Go for the MacBook. It's cheaper and will do everything you need it to do.

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

For the needs you listed, go with the Blackbook. Macbook 2.2 vs MBP 2.2 benchmarks showed that the Blackbook actually was faster than the MBP (by a few seconds) in most areas except gaming of course.

Attached Files: