Black Macbook will not power on fans spin!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zilla, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Zilla macrumors newbie

:apple:so i got a new macbook black that is not covered under warrenty, the magsafe fried on it and it used to boot up but not charge the battery or show any signs of power from the magsafe so then i bought a new magsafe that connects to the logic board and replaced it and when i plugged the power adapter in it tried to turn on right away and then the fan spinned and the sleep light light up then it shut off right away and i didnt smell nething from teh macbook or logic board. the battery now charges and the light on the magsafe adapter lights up so i treid to turn it back on and it doesnt the same thing turns on and then right off just the fan spins and then the hdds spin lasts for like a sec or two. i tried to turn it on with the battery out and with just the battery in nothing swapped the RAM same thing went from two 1 gig sticks to 2 256mb sticks and then tried another two 2gig sticks same thing then i treid a differnt hdd and have the same thing happen?

any ideas of what i need to do to get this working and yes i tried a google search and every1 ended up taking it to apple and i can not do that,
    my understanding of electronics is pretty good

please help

thanks

2. core2duo macrumors member

1. Reset the SMC.
    2. Reinstall the original or a known good MagSafe DC-in board. Does it do the same thing? If yes, you likely have a bad logic board. If no, you likely have a bad MagSafe board.

Did you make sure to follow anti static procedures while installing the modules? It really does make a difference, especially around the logic board. One little zap and you can blow a microscopic hole in a trace that will render the board useless.

3. Zilla thread starter macrumors newbie

ok now i did that and the power/sleep light stays light white and the fans and Hdd spins but doesnt do nething else... what does this mean? bad power/battery/sleep board?

4. pizzacake macrumors member

Try putting in just one memory stick (hopefully one you know is ok) in one of the memory slots. This is to determine if any of your memory slots are damaged. Try all the slots with this single stick of RAM. Hopefully your MacBook will boot with one of these and all you've lost is a spare memory slot.

A bad memory slot can produce what you describe. If this is the problem by just using the good memory slot/s your MacBook will run fine although the RAM maximum will be halved.

5. jcp20 macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem, then my macbook died. I've learnt these next steps after-the-fact, but give them a go:

take out the battery and press the power button a few times, hopefully this will discharge any remaining charge in the logic board, which if unattended or built up will fry the board. replace battery and have another go.