black macbook with black screen of death

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sara123456, May 4, 2010.

1. sara123456 macrumors member

Hi Guys I have a Black macbook 2.2 GHz 4Gb Ram with the GMA X3100 graphic's card, I turned my macbook today to find the screen won't work its just black but the thing is running fine on an external monitor.

It wasn't dropped or anything as it was fine the night before just turned off and back on today but now i am stuck with the black screen of death.

Any ideas guys as I don't want to drive 70 miles to find out it something stupid.

Thanks Sara

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Are you sure the screen isn't set to the dimmest it can go? I have had that happen and it looked like it was not working. Hopefully, it is something simple

Otherwise, sounds like a bad display

3. sara123456 thread starter macrumors member

How do i change that by pressing F2? Sorry to sound stupid

4. sara123456 thread starter macrumors member

5. eman macrumors 6502a

With your macbook running, shine a flashlight into the LCD desktop, can you see the desktop faintly? If so, start with the cheapest fix first and replace the inverter inside the clutch cover. If that doesn't work replace the the LCD, your backlight is most likely burned out.
    It could be a few other issues as well:
    A. Inverter cable is worn (not real likely).
    B. Bad logic board.

6. sara123456 thread starter macrumors member

Hi I just shined a light into the screen and I can see the desktop there i will have a look on ebay for the inverter if not i will have to take it to apple but i know its going to be a big bill as nothing comes cheap with apple. Thanks again

7. eman macrumors 6502a

Here's an inverter from greedbay (ebay), that will work in your machine.

8. sara123456 thread starter macrumors member

I have found the if i keep pressing F1 then F2 etc the screen seems to stay on longer every time then warms up enough to work. Thanks for the link

9. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

If it still is under warrantee just call them and they will have you mail it to them.

If you don't know how to tell if the backlight is broken or if it is the screen you probably shouldn't be opening your computer to fix it.

10. sara123456 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know but I have ordered the bit can't really make it worst as its already broken. I will let you know if i fix it or break something else. :)

11. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Right now, everything but your screen works. You could certainly make it worse by breaking everything else.

12. DeviaImmortalis macrumors newbie

You guys are so paranoid!!!

Most likely when you dropped it, the HV cable on the right side of the inverter popped out of its socket. You can put it back in place without having to disassemble the whole MacBook, however you will still have to remove the upper keyboard/cover assembly and carefully use a bent paperclip or pick to push it back in. It can be quite difficult to do it this way.

If the inverter does need to be replaced check out the various YouTube videos and/or the instructions on iFixit.com first. You really don't need any special tools other than some really small screwdrivers, (ideally for the frearson screws Apple uses - regular phillips drivers will damage the screws).

Disassembly, replacement and reassembly does take some skills.
    It takes me about half an hour to replace the screen and/or inverter on this model, however I have done many of these and work on many laptops every day.

Shawn Heil
    Diversified Electronic Services
    Madison, Wisconsin
    (608) 807-1206
    divelectservices@gmail.com