Black Macbook with multiple issues sent for repair

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mugambo, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

I have a late 2006 black macbook 2Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 120Gb HDD, Core2Duo, 13" screen, 8x Superdrive, Bluetooth with the following issues:

- Random shutdown (recent occurrence)
    - Never wakes up from sleep mode (recent occurrence)
    - Flickering screen
    - Cracking hand rest area
    - Swelling of the left hand side of keyboard and screen
    - Battery is not flush with the bottom surface (sticks out)
    - Processor makes a moo-ing sound sometimes
    - Trackpad sensitivity decreased
    - Volume is terribly low from the beginning

The macbook has been babied. Never been dropped, no liquid damage, still under apple care warranty till Nov 2009. I have sent the macbook in for the above issues.

Can I expect all of the above issues to be solved at once?

Are the above issues common to plastic macbooks?

I turned it in July 1st, when can I expect it back to the store for me to pickup?

Once I get back from repair, if I decide to sell it, how much price can I get for it?

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...did all this start happening at the same time?

3. Mugambo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Random shutdown and failure to recover from sleep mode started about couple weeks ago. The rest of them have been developing over the past 2 months. But the problems continued to grow. :confused:

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...didn't the store give you an estimate when it would be ready?

Call them and see what luck they've had reproducing your problems...

5. Mugambo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mugambo

I called them and was asked to call back after an hour.
    I called them back after an hour as they wanted some information like - has anything been replaced in the macbook and I replied 'no'.
    Later was told that the macbook is being diagnosed and I have to call them back on Tuesday to check with them.
    The store said it will be back on Thursday and its already saturday.

Is it normal for these issues to occur as these macbooks get older and should I sell it off to buy another macbook so that I can get a fresh 3 yr warranty?

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I'd buy a Thinkpad. :D

It's not normal, but it happens more often with these models than it has with any other machine I've had.

Best of luck!

7. Mugambo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Has anybody had all of these issues?

Will they be able to fix all of them under warranty?

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I hope that you realize that the chance of anyone here having all of these issues is slim to none.

Regardless, reading over the list of issues you have posted, it seems that Apple should cover all of them.

9. Mugambo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mugambo

I checked the status of my repair (which said on hold) and called up... here's the response I got:

'Sir, we're not able to duplicate these issues and hence we had to put your repair on hold'

Most of the issues are visible upfront and what do you mean you can't 'duplicate' them??

'Sir, the flickering and random shutdown cannot be duplicated'

Ok how long is it going to take before I get back my macbook?

'It is going to be 48 - 72 hours before your macbook will be taken up for repair, following that it will take 3 - 5 business days to complete the repair'

I asked what if you aren't able to duplicate the issues by then.

She said, we are going to put your repair status on hold and you have to check that and call us back!

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's unfortunate that your MacBook has that many problems and most of the problems would be fixed with a logic board replacement and case replacement for the cracks. With what has happened so far, calling them more isn't going to help so I'd be patient because the amount of repairs needed for your MacBook, you might as well get a new one since they would be replacing almost everything. I wouldn't be surprised if they called you back and tell you they'll be giving you a new MacBook.

11. Mugambo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mugambo

I really want them to come up with a one stop solution. Most concerns I hear about multiple complaints is that some of them not being attended. I tried to ask for expediting my macbook repair for which I was told, 'all macbooks are given equal priority, so even yours will be attended soon. There is nothing we can do apart from what is being done right now'. After all this, the repair better be complete. Is this even going to be a ground for requesting a loaner macbook or a possible replacement? I have heard that if you turn in a macbook with the same issue more than thrice, you're eligible for a replacement. Does Apple have any similar policies with more than 8 issues at once?!!??

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Generally that will happen if you encounter the same problem 3 times. If you do a search, you'll see that others have had problems with the whole unit and at the end Apple decided to give a new computer because of various problems at one repair time so it's definitely not out of the question. It's something Apple would at their own discretion but you could try to call up AppleCare and ask for CSR and explain the problem.