Black MacBook XP Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hexonxonx, May 15, 2011.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought a used Macbook from someone today. The MB has Snow Leopard installed and did not come with the the original restore discs.

I have installed XP via bootcamp but since I have no restore discs, I don't have the proper display driver so the resolution is wrong in XP.

I can't seem to locate the correct bootcamp to download from the Apple site for my MB. The one I did find will not run at all. Any help here? Thanks

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Youll need to start with an early enough version, I think its 3.1 which will install.

Here is page with downloads - http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents

Once you get one installed and restarted and everything, Apple Update will download whats needed after it, no need to go back to the site and get the others.

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

No luck. It begins to install but then fails with an error about the instal shield wizard suddenly quit.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

DId you do any of the Windows updates yet? You may need to do the Windows Updates first.

5. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

That's what I was thinking so I ran any available updates and it still failed.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Sounds like maybe a corrupted install or download. What version of bootcamp did you try?

7. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

3.1 32bit. It's the only version that would start to run.

8. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I fixed my problem by deleting the partition and going through the entire process over again using a Snow Leopard DVD.