Black MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TWO2SEVEN, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Looking at picking up a black MacBook to replace my 1.83 Intel Mac Mini with 2gb of ram. I don't use my computers much as most of my needs are met by the iPad. Also, I have an HP laptop, but I have given it to my parents.

Anyway, I found a BlackBook on Craigslist. The battery is totally dead an it has the notorious palm rest crack. I would really only be using it at my desk, so I don't need to replace the battery right away and I know Apple will repair the crack.

Here are the specs:
    "Core 2 Duo" 2.2GHz Processor, 13" Display Glossy, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive

The seller wants $300 but told me he is flexible.

This would be my first MacBook and my second Mac. I'm just curious how these are holding up to usage today. I don't need, nor can I afford a new MacBook so this seems like a good fit. I just want to make sure it will be enough of an upgrade over my Mini to make it worthwhile.

Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hayrodd macrumors newbie

My wife and I have matching black Macbooks that we bought in Nov 2008. Neither of us have had a problem or any issues. We update software as suggested and just added 2G of memory to both. ($49 each) We love ours and they are our primary computers and see constant use.

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thanks for your input! :)

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's a good deal. That MacBook can be maxed out at 4GB of RAM, which is sufficient for almost any task nowadays. Since you said he's flexible, I'd see if he'd take $250 or $275 and either get the RAM or the battery or both.

BlackBooks also still fetch a bit more than their white counterparts, so if/when you decided to sell it, you'd likely get more than you paid.

Good luck.

5. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thanks! I checked out the trade in value on Best Buy's site. They are still giving $450. I think I'm going to offer 225, expecting him to counter at $250 ;)

6. Cheffy Dave, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Go to OWC, the 2.2 and 2.4 can run 6gb of RAM 4+2
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

7. Juno364, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

Juno364 macrumors newbie

You can find a replacement battery for pretty cheap on OWC's site.

8. rockden macrumors newbie

hi ireallu like all apple product for example iphone and mackbook and black mack book pro extra ordinarty technology built in great function and looking is looking very well and my friends are like and use apple product mackbook and enjot many function.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Those black MacBooks were sharp looking, to bad apple stopped making them :(

Anyways I think that's a good price for the laptop

10. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I sill have mine bought back in December 2007 and it works just as good as the day I bought it. I have recently upgraded the RAM to 4gb, and upgraded to snow leopard.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That's a good price. I think current value of the white ones are about 250

12. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

I still have my Black MacBook which I bought in February 2008. It is four years old and is still as usable today as it was when I first bought it. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and also popped in a 320GB HDD both of which were very easy to do.

Even though I have a MacBook Pro these days, I have kept the MacBook for occasional use. I have installed Lion on it (pretty much just on the baseline spec to run it) and have found it to be fine. The latest iLife suite runs just fine and even latest Microsoft Office is okay (although the whole thing is slightly clunky regardless of what system you run it on).

If you don't use your computers much, then I am sure the MacBook will be more than sufficient for you - it really only becomes slightly unattractive when you want it to run newer versions of things like Lightroom or Photoshop CS5/Elements 10. But I guess if you were wanting to run this kind of software you wouldn't be looking at a MacBook in the first place.

13. monkeybongo macrumors member

Good price, 2.2GhZ is enough power and I believe this should support some of the multitouch gestures on the trackpad for Lion.

14. throAU, Feb 13, 2012

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

My 2c, i'd steer clear of the macbook, save your $300 and spend it on the following for your mini:

- magic trackpad ($70?)
    - 2x2GB so-dimms ($25-30? - yeah, you'll only be able to access 3. something gb, but 3gb is still better than 2, and it will still run dual channel)
    - 1x120gb SSD ($160?)

pocket the change and go buy a few beers. or maybe even buy a 2.5" USB caddy for your ex-internal drive.

1.8ghz vs 2.2ghz will barely be noticeable in general use. sure it might make a bit of difference when transcoding video, but both machines will be dog slow at that anyway. however, the ram upgrade will help, and the SSD will make MASSIVE difference.

I have a 1.83ghz mac mini as my old machine (just sits in the corner as a toy running server) and the difference between that, and my GFs Macbook air 1.6ghz core2 duo is night and day. Her air smokes it, with less CPU. In fact, in general use (email, web, etc) her Air smokes my fully loaded 15" 2011 Macbook Pro, due to the SSD (i'm still running the 7200rpm disk in it, 500gb SSDs are too expensive just yet :-\). It's only when running CPU or 3d intensive stuff that my MBP kicks arse.

With no battery, the black macbook is not going to be useful as a portable, so really you're paying $300 for another keyboard, trackpad and basically the same performance as your current mini. You've got the iPad for portable duties anyway?

A mini with the upgrades I list above will absolutely demolish the 2.2ghz blackbook performance wise - and it will be cheaper.

15. scapula002 macrumors newbie

i just returned my 2008 Bck mcbk to the University after using it solidly for 3 good years. I had to change the battery twice, the hard drive once(replaced with HDD) and upgraded RAM to 4GB.

I dont know what you are going to do with it, but if you want to do any home video stuff then, upgrading to a hybrid HDD or a SDD( 150-300 $) and upgrade to atleast 4GB ram(30 dollars crucial.com) will dramatically boost its performance.Plus the best part is replacing ram and harddrive in this is as easy as taking a shower. Yes it does get warm underneath the chasis, but which laptop does not. Plus this 2008 MCBK is about 5.5Lbs, so not incredibly heavy.

or you can buy a basic new mac mini for about 700 dollars, with no optical bay.

16. jehy, Feb 13, 2012

jehy macrumors newbie

Black MacBook = Awesome!

I've had my Black :apple: MacBook since mid 2008.

2.4GHZ Core Duo 2 (Duel Core), 2GB RAM (Now upgraded to 4GB), 250GB HD (the original one and still works fine!) cost me £999 brand new!

I got a MacBook purely because at the time I was travelling a lot.
    Despite common issues with the case cracking etc, it still looks as good as the day I got it not a single crack. Only one slight scratch on the side of the case!

These days I don't travel so much so 98% of the time my MacBook sits on my desk with an external apple keyboard and apple trackpad hooked up to a 23" 1080p LED monitor and looks GOOOOOOOOOOOD. :cool:

From day one it has been in constant use and has only failed once which was kind of my fault! :eek: I'll spare the boring details but that resulted in a logicboard replacement which was covered by Apple Care as it was still kind of a hardware fault that shouldn't have happened!
    - If anyone was wondering, one of the usb ports died! not a massive problem I got it taken in for repair which resulted in a logic board replacement, wasn't a massive issue but thought i'd make use of my apple care before it expired!

Overall fantastic Mac! works very well as desktop set up and as laptop it doesn't disappoint! Battery life is a better than the average laptop i'd say.
    I have friends that have the newer unibody MacBooks where they've had Hard Drive failures and other misc problems!

A friend of mine has the same MacBook as me, he has maxed it to the unofficial MAX ram of 6GB (1x 2GB and 1x 4GB) and also added a 128GB solid state hard drive! slightly costly on the SSD front but it out performs my MacBook on booting up now! :(

17. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I was actually at Microcenter when the seller responded to my offer by telling me he had sold it earlier in the day. I went ahead and picked up (and installed) 4gb of ram.

I already have a magic mouse so I picked up a third party BT keyboard that looks very similar to the Apple version. It's replacing my bulky Apple keyboard that came with the mini.

The ram install was my first and was extremely easy. The mini seems to be running my quicker.

Next stop may be an external HDD. For now I moved all of my pictures to a flash drive to free up some space.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!