Black MacBooks

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Why are black MacBooks rare or are they not? Or it's just a myth?

DollFaceDork

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Narnia
When I was buying my old white unibody Macbook I looked into both, white looked nicer for me and I read that finger prints were an issue on the black and I HATE finger prints.

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I thought the same love for black iPhones would prevail for the MacBooks as well?

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Probably because, at least when I bought mine (late 2006), you had to get the more expensive MB to get it in black and most people buying MacBooks just got the base model (like how the 13" MBP base is most likely a much bigger seller than the upgraded version). Not only that, with the model I have at least, if you outfitted a white MacBook to have the exact same specs as the black one, the white one was slightly cheaper. You were basically paying extra just for the color.

If they had offered a base model black MacBook for the same price as the white one, it probably would have been a much bigger seller. Just like if they offered a black base-model MBP today at the same price, it would probably be a good seller (I'd get one).

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
i would get a black variation too. perhaps they need to rethink this one?:confused:

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Please apple if you are reading this thread kindly bring us back the black MacBooks. Thank you.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Probably because, at least when I bought mine (late 2006), you had to get the more expensive MB to get it in black and most people buying MacBooks just got the base model (like how the 13" MBP base is most likely a much bigger seller than the upgraded version). Not only that, with the model I have at least, if you outfitted a white MacBook to have the exact same specs as the black one, the white one was slightly cheaper. You were basically paying extra just for the color.
I remember this as well. Pretty sure it was around $100 more just for the black color when having the exact same specs on the black vs. white. Crazy!

laptoplover2

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
USA
The MacBook itself was Apple's best laptop. It was the awesomest looking and it was the best selling Mac laptop in history. I personally could go with either white or black, but if the black one wasn't so much more expensive than the white one I would have probably gotten black.