Black Macintosh Plus 1MB

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by royalgfx1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. royalgfx1 macrumors member

Hello all,

I recently have stumbled across something that I have never seen. It's a Black Macintosh Plus 1MB (according to the unscathed back), and a Google search shows that these things don't exist at all.

http://i39.tinypic.com/xpwiac.jpg - sorry about the rotation.

A bit more research led me to this Wired article about an illusive "top-secret, one-of-a-kind", but I highly doubt my luck would be this amazing.

Now, going further, a website some of you may know RetroMacCast do a podcast on Apple culture, and they have photos of this Black Mac, http://www.flickr.com/photos/retromaccast/2443074278/. That Mac plus' case looks hand painted, where as the one I have here is definitely factory done.

I can't figure this one out. What is this machine!?!?

2. interrobang macrumors 6502

It's a carefully done spray paint and decal job.

3. Plymouthbreezer, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011

Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

4. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

Really? This really doesn't seem like a Hackintosh job, the level of detail is amazing, and it looks authentic as all hell. I can't even admit this is a hackintosh, because it's that amazing.

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Even if Apple had created some black Macintosh's for some reason, they wouldn't have called it a BlackMac. Even the second photo of a different one is clearly a repaint.

6. firewood macrumors 604

There are black Apple II's. Maybe Bell & Howell branded?

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Look at the picture of the first one, it's got an Apple logo and a horrible white font "BlackMac", it's phony as can be.

8. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Have you actually seen this in person? Because there's nothing in that picture to convince me that it's 100% authentic.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

10. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

The graphics are not Apple, too clumsy. Nice item though, crack it open and see what is inside, might give you some further info.

11. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yep looks like a very well done spray paint job, the 'BlackMac++' is a ridiculous name for 1. and 2. it's too clumsy and big and brash. It's pretty nice although it does look at little like a cheapy CRT TV from the 90's... :rolleyes:

Just food for thought. Didn't the Brazilians make unauthorised Macintosh clones? Maybe it might even be one of them?

12. MJM1977 macrumors newbie

It's got to be a paint job. Look at the floppy eject hole... you can see where the paint has chipped.

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There are, however, some CLEAR CASE Macintosh SE's around, these were developer units given to Macintosh developers, and a few are floating around. These are genuine prototype/developer units and are collector's items. Very cool, I would love to have one of those.

Also, there is a clear case Macintosh Portable that is a prototype unit, those are EXTREMELY rare and worth over $5,000.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Hardly. I could paint this up easily... If you have the right supplies, patience, a good eye and a steady hand, mods like this aren't difficult.

As other folks have said, cool nonetheless. :)