Black Magic Intensity HDMI Capture Card

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jimidan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jimidan macrumors newbie

What do the more experienced heads think about the new Intensity high definition HDMI capture and editing cards? The following link puts you on Mac Sales web site for the Black Magic products. Are they necessary and do they do what they claim in the ads? Here's what they say about the least expensive one which has an HDMI inlet and outlet.

"Add the incredible quality of HDMI to your computer. Intensity features the latest HDMI technology for the highest quality capture and playback on Windows or Mac OS X computers. Now you can edit using big-screen HDMI televisions and video projectors, or capture uncompressed quality from HDV cameras."

"Intensity features HDMI video capture and playback on Windows and Mac OS X computers. That’s great for HDTV or standard definition editing using big screen televisions and video projectors. Work in uncompressed video and eliminate HDV & DV compression quality problems, or use disk-space friendly professional compressed video if required."

"All Intensity cards include Blackmagic Media Express, an easy to use application for fast capture and playback of media. If you’re doing web streaming or DVD authoring and need fast acquisition of video, then Media Express is ideal."

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/black+magic+card

2. forty31 macrumors newbie

That's pretty much what I use mine for and it really works well. I record a live multi-cam feed off of an edirol v440hd into my mac pro. You can't beat it for the price.

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I'm actually selling a spare Intensity Pro I have, it's posted in the marketplace right now, but it's ending on ebay right now, current bid of $182.50, if you're interested.

They work very well, but do not decrypt HDCP signals, so you cannot rip encryped media like Blu-Ray disks, and video off of some cable boxes directly off of HDMI, you can however do it over component.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It all depends on what your needs/goals are.

Lethal

5. jimidan thread starter macrumors newbie

My goal is to download AVDHD from my Sony HDR-SR10 to my Mac with as little loss of resolution as possible...or simply put, using HDMI vs. the USB connection. The HDMI connection is "supposed" to be superior to a USB, but I don't know if it is in this application. At present time, there is not Firewire connector that will link my Sony to my G5 Power Mac, which is supposed to be what works best with Macs to download video. USB is supposed to be used for still images which is which is why everytime that I have tried to download HD to my G5, the iPhoto pops up.

The Sony camcorder does have a HDMI plug on it so if I just had one on my Mac (the Black Magic card), I am figuring that it will "add the incredible quality of HDMI to (my) computer...(which) features the latest HDMI technology for the highest quality capture and playback on Windows or Mac OS X computers."

That sounds pretty convincing to me, but I am a NOOB, and thus prone to pretty words that I really do not understand so well. And that is what I am asking for help with...

6. jimidan thread starter macrumors newbie

It will plug into my G5? Are there any installation issues that I should be aware of before I make such a purchase?

BTW, where is the "marketplace"...is it on this forum? I don't see it in the Forum list.

7. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

You need 250 posts to see it. I don't have 250 posts myself, which is why I jump at every chance to say something semi-useful to get there, such as this post :D

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Long story short the Intensity isn't for you, IMO. Your camera is designed around transferring video files (as opposed to streaming video) from the camera to the computer and USB 2.0 is just fine for that. Capturing shot footage from your camera using HDMI will not make it look any better than transferring the files via USB because the compression to the video has already happened. Also, the Intensity needs a PCIe slot and almost all the G5 towers have PCI-X slots (I think only last generation of G5s have PCIe).

Lethal

9. jimidan thread starter macrumors newbie

Leathalwolf,

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Good solid useful information that you can get your teeth into. Thanks!

jimidan

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, I don't like piggybacking threads, but I have a burning question that fits into this thread somewhat. The OP did say that he wanted this card and had a Power Mac G5 at one point here; I am getting a G5 and want to record footage off of HDMI (no other choice for the content), so reading around on the internet I was not finding an answer that fully satisfied the question.

Does the Blackmagic Intensity work in a PCI-E G5?

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The card is designed to work w/a PCIe (PCI Express) slot (as opposed to a PCI-X/PCI Xtended slot) but to be on the safe side you should e-mail Blackmagic directly and ask them.

Lethal

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

from Blackmagic's website:

"PowerMac G5's cannot be used with Intensity. PowerMac G5 PCIe users who require an HDMI capture solution should consider the DeckLink HD Extreme. DeckLink HD Extreme supports both Mac Pro and PowerMac G5's (with PCI Express)..."

13. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

In that case heres a post to help me get there... and I happen to be looking to purchase a blackmagic card....

still trying to get to my avatar...... :p

14. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

@bigbossbmb
    Yes, I noticed that there was no official support, unfortunately.

Still, I did drag up this. Towards the bottom is a comment by Edward A. Oats in which he quotes a support engineer who states that the system hangs when recording ample amounts of HDMI. (recommend reading)

Maybe in a few months (when I get the system) I'll post up some results.