Black OEM Leather Loop Band

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BoneHead001, Feb 20, 2018.

1. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Why in the world did Apple discontinue the black leather loop band? I tried the Charcoal Grey and it was too warm and too light in color. I know you can buy knock-offs, but the quality and fit is bad.

I got lucky and purchased one on eBay. The one I bought was a medium 42mm warranty replacement — never worn. The only thing was it did not have the 42mm inked on the short end.

2. NagasakiGG macrumors member

It seems like Apple wants to discontinue all Loop versions. Here in Germany you cannot order them at Saturn anymore - Germany’s hugest retailer for electronics.
    Luckily they sold them for a small price. I got my S3 LTE for 351€ (about 380$ I think) in spacegrey with olive band

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It should have been inked, especially if it wasn’t worn.

4. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

The long end of the loop was inked with the icon and “Genuine Leather” as they all are. The short end usually says “42mm” but is blank. The seller said it came from Apple as a warranty replacement.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

What did the packaging look like?

6. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I received the eBay item in the original packaging. The seller put the white box replacement band in the original packaging from the first loop band that was defective.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did the packaging you received look like the same box size the sport bands come in, or was it different?

8. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it was the original pre-eco-friendly hard plastic case Apple used 2-3 years ago. The current leather loop packaging is all paper — no plastic.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Good. Just checking. I have most of the leather loops and wanted to make sure you were done right.

10. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

The seller said he kept the original packaging from the defective band. When Apple gave him the warranty replacement, he told me that he put the replacement in the previous original packaging. My question is I wonder why the warranty replacement did not have the 42mm ink on the short end.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is why I posted originally. It should have. I don’t know why it wouldn’t.

Look on the long side of the band and count away from the watch center, noting what inner number loop number the m logo is stamped, as well as the genuine leather stamp and logo above it.

Take a pic. I want to see it up close.

12. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

When you set the watch on its side with the band attached, does the band stay rigid?

14. dmillar74 macrumors regular

The leather loop band is one of my favorites. I bought mine when I bought my first Apple Watch.

15. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How long have you been wearing the band?

Here is a shot of my Bright Blue stamping.

Compare the sharpness of the logo above the "natural leather" lettering on mine to yours. There is a noticeable difference.

Attached Files:

17. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been wearing it 4 days.
    The Charcoal Grey one I bought from Apple was the same tone ink as this black band.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Look at the end (metal part) of the band. Does it say "Assembled in China" ?

19. BoneHead001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it says “Assembled in China” on the metal end

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No way to know 100% if it is real. The signs are there that it could be real. At the same time, I have seen fakes match the same markings.

Like you, the lack of the 42 stamp is a concern for me. It is possible the stamp machine missed.

Bottom line is you are happy and it fits well for you.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t know how long you have been following the Apple Watch, but I have since it’s inception back in April 2015. Apple changes the bands and discintinues bands regularly. They bring in new styles, colors, materials and it entirely keep the bands refreshed. It’s not just about the black leather loop, but all the bands they interchange frequently with the exception of the Milanese loop and stainless steel link bands, which have primarily been the same. Not to mention, no one here knows exactly why Apple would discontinue one specific band unless they stated otherwise.

22. KrisLord macrumors 65832

I think the point is some of the “normal” bands that most people would purchase are discontinued, when they should be like the Milanese models and kept long term.

There’s a million shades of white/cream in the sport options and some garish colours too.

A simple black leather band should always be an option.

My black leather loop is showing the odd sign of wear on the sides so I’ve started wearing it less to preserve it. I’ve a sport loop and grey sport band now too.

23. Relentless Power, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But in order for Apple to continue to attract customers to the bands, they can’t offer the same band color all the time, that would create too much of a convoluted lineup, so by discontinuing older colors, they introduce new colors to keep it refreshed. So I don’t blame Apple for doing so especially with the sport bands, which are the most popular, because they are the most affordable.

Not to mention, it’s much easier to manufacture the sport bands, because they’re made out of a mold, where as the milanese loop and stainless steel link are more costly to manufacture because of the materials used and machining process takes longer. And the metal bands are more specific to the stainless model, which offers a more ‘Premium’ aesthetic.

24. Newtons Apple, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The leather loop is also my favorite and was lucky enough to score two new in the box black loops to go with my SBSS3. I also fear they will stop making them soon.

25. KrisLord macrumors 65832

You’re 100% right about keeping things updated to attract new purchases, but basic colours like black/white/silver should be available as long as that band option is around.

Today we have cosmos blue and charcoal grey, which surely can’t be as popular as a black option?

The black sport loop isn’t even properly black, you need the Nike option for that :(