Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
Okay i know there has been a thread on this...but i couldnt/didnt feel like finding it so... which macbook do you like better? The Black Or White Macbook?:apple:

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Red.... then white....
282513781_44090d8b52_o.jpg

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
White - it just looks fresher.
I've only seen one BlackBook in the wild and tbh I didn't particularly like it.

But of course there will be others with completely different taste, and then there will be those who want it in an aluminium case (which I'd also like)

jenn221

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Louisiana
Are you asking purely for preference of color? I haven't actually been in the Mac store to see them yet ( I live in Louisiana and nowhere near a Mac store:( ) but I thought the two colors actually have different specs as well....?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
BLACK all the way!!! the white (sorry to say) looks cheap!

I love my black macbook :)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
If you don't mind the extra cost, I say black. Two people I work with have white ones, one has a black one, and although white does look nice the black looks more professional and sleeker. I just ordered a refurb black Core Duo for $999 -- it will be here in less than two days!!!

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Go to an Apple Store and look at the black ones there and try to tell me they're scratch resistant.

Well I haven't been to an Apple store in over a year but I'd say those have taken constant abuse day after day by who knows how many people. It's more scratch-resistant than the white Macbooks for sure cause I've owned both. I should have said its scratch-resistant under normal wear and tear but certainly not "let's use my keys to scratch up the Macbook" or knife-resistant, etc.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
At my university I see a bunch of both black and white MacBooks, and I don't really care for the black ones honestly. They don't look like Macs, they look like every other cheap plastic Dell out there.

Jan 30, 2006
I think it is a matter of taste. But the way the Apple Logo looks at the back of the black MB is gorgeous.

Also, some people say the Black MB looks like a PC. But believe me, it is not even close to look to one.

The one thing that I don't like that much about the Black MB is that it is more prone to show finger-prints in the palm rest area. So if you have greasy fingers, consider this. I find myself constantly cleaning it, but nothing that drives me nuts.

And finally, the black MB is harder to scratch than the white one (I don't have a single scratch in my MB). And in the white one, you would have hundreds of little (very little) scratches, but it is almost impossible to see them in normal circumstances.

Roco

Jan 30, 2006
At my university I see a bunch of both black and white MacBooks, and I don't really care for the black ones honestly. They don't look like Macs, they look like every other cheap plastic Dell out there.

It takes me 1 second to identify Black MB from cheap PC's at my college. They are no even close to looking like one.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
It takes me 1 second to identify Black MB from cheap PC's at my college. They are no even close to looking like one.

I'll have to agree with you on that too. The black Macbook definitely doesn't look cheap compared to the Dells/Toshibas I see in class.

The one thing that I don't like that much about the Black MB is that it is more prone to show finger-prints in the palm rest area. So if you have greasy fingers, consider this. I find myself constantly cleaning it, but nothing that drives me nuts.

I researched about this before purchasing a black MB and therefore bought an invisible shield. Sure, I can still see fingerprints/oil/etc but its SO much easier to clean. Anyways, the only part I have to clean is the trackpad whenever I take the MB to class and the screen cause it collects dust. I have a silicone skin over the keyboard and palm rests so no need to clean those areas :)

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
black, black, black, BLACK FTW!! Black looks amazing... white does look cheap and scratches way easier.

TheCreeper

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
i was going to get the black but for whatever reason i wanted to save money and got the white 2.0 instead. i do not regret it. the black one looks sleek but a few people told me it looks "cheap" and "non-Apple" so to each their own. the sales kid at the apple store told me the white 2.0 is their fastest seller and coming in second is the 1.83. the black model is their slowest. not sure why this would be. i like it and could go either way.

btw - I honestly do not think "white" looks cheap. Before my Macbook I owned the iBook and so many people that saw it loved it. felt that apple color is white and its their mark. the blacks at the store all showed heavy wear on the trackpad and wrist spots and on the keyboard (granted these machines are getting abused 24-7). The front cover of ALL of the blacks showed scratches. the white ones also show scratches but it depends on the light. so i have to say the black ones showed more wear.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
After some short use, the blackbook looks like someone dumped vegetable oil on it. The smudges look so gross.

The white ones scratch. But, you can't see them unless you bend it and the light is perfect. If you are going to be doing that, you may as well not have a laptop. I would rather use than look at scratches.

The smudges on the black are everyone and distrating IMO.

The black IS $200 more. People try and rationalize it because the 120GB upgrade at Apple is $150, which you know is a ripoff. I would rather take that $200 and through a 160GB in there, heck you could get a 200GB if you wanted. I'd still be left with almost $100 if I shop around for a 160GB. At that point you would be mostly on your way to 2GB or applecare.

Sell you 2x512MB and the 80GB and you come out on top with a better computer.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I like the white MacBook, and I will be buying one shortly, after I sell my iMac G5.

Also, I work in a computer store and I don't find that the new Toshiba's and HP's look cheap at all. Actually, HP has a really nice line and all the logos/symbols are embedded into the casing and it is basically scratch resistant. HP makes a really nice notebook now. Very lightweight, and they don't seem as bulky at the Toshibas.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Isn't this BS? I mean, isn't it crazy that we are talking about which one shows scratches the least? I have a sony ericsson phone W810i that I've used for months and there is not a scratch on it, despite having been dropped, thrown in bags, kept in my pocket etc. The white macbook I had was all scratched up in a few days of incredibly gentle use (small scratches but all over the place) - i put it in a sleeve, used it mainly on a desk etc. They scratch just by looking at them. The black one was much better scratch-wise, but really was a grease magnet. ANY human contact caused it to look blotchy, dirty and ugly. Apple is obviously only concerned with selling the machines: what comes after they don't care about it.

It's time we demand a little more! I don't think any other laptop users in the PC world are concerned about these silly issues. I used my friend's HP laptop yesterday and she's had it for a year and used it as her main work and commuting computer, yet it looked brand new with no scratches, no greese marks and limited trackpad wear.

As laptop users we shouldn't have to baby our computers. They should be built for the road and able to handle regular use without looking awful. I hated the feeling that i had to cover my blackbook in various plastics and silicon to keep it looking alright - I couldn't even enjoy its looks that way. If I didn't cover it , however, it would also look bad so there was no good solution.

I'd still go for the white since it doesn't show wear as readily. The black ones are only great-looking if you continuously wipe them and who wants to do that???

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
everyone here is going to tell you which they like better, which one looks classier or cheaper, which one is more scratch-resistant/prone, etc. it all comes down to personal preference, and you should check them out for yourself. buy what you want.

holamiamigos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2006
everyone here is going to tell you which they like better, which one looks classier or cheaper, which one is more scratch-resistant/prone, etc. it all comes down to personal preference, and you should check them out for yourself. buy what you want.

yea i agree its all up to you

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Black Mac for me

My two teenagers have white 2ghz MB and I have a black Mac, all three Core 2 Duos. I will grant the white ones are classic Mac consumer laptops, instantly recognizable and all. But, to me the black is just cool looking, like my 12" PB was the coolest if not the hottest PB. I use iKlean on my MB to clean it and it seems to not smudge as much. That is a GOOD THING. After 3 and a half months of daily use, there are no scratches, but man does it smudge! I keep a microfiber cloth in my bag and wipe of the hand prints when I remove it and when I put it up. I also use the iKlean at least twice a week, that way it is always clean and cool looking. My black MB reminds me of a very high maintenance girl I dated many years ago, great looking but a lot of trouble to keep up.:cool:
Look at them both and buy the one YOU want. Just get the 2ghz with the Superdrive, worth the extra money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.