Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I know people must be tired of all these threads by now, so I apologize before hand.

I was thinking that the white MacBoook would show far more scratches than the black, and that black would cover up more. A friend told me her black iPod (I have a white iPod, where the "white scratches easier" idea comes from) scratches easily as well, so I'm a bit confused.

Either way, I'll be getting one of the two this weekend. Just haven't made up my mind yet as to what color to go with.

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
White shows more scratches than black? Really? I would have thought that the Black one would be the culprit in this aspect. In any case, get yourself a shell case like Speck and you don't haveta worry about scratches or fingerprints!

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
the white one sometimes is confused for an old powerbook, whereas the black one is widely known as latest generation.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the black ipod and the black macbook are of different materials. the ipod's surface is shiny, where the macbook's is matte (black). so it better guards against scratches, but it does show finger prints and oil stains. go to any apple store, and you'll see this on every black macbook. but if you're willing to clean it, you should be stain-free. but aren't laptops supposed to show signs of wear anyway? aren't scratches a good thing, showing that they've been used out in the real world? they don't need to be coddled; they need to be used.

sm0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Wellington, NZ
owned both:
1st gen. macbook white
3rd gen. blackbook

white is nice... until covered in scratches
black is so... elegant.

i used to say white looks so much more mac but now i think thats exactly it, it looks too mac. black on the other hand looks mint

once you go black you never go back.

just waiting for a black MBP :)

black ipod ftw too

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
We have both white and black at home.

- Not sure about the scratches, because neither got any :D
- Dirt on white is much more visible, especially on the keyboard.
- Black shows fingerprints and other similar stuff really easy, much more than on white.
- IMO, black looks nicer
- Black is so much more cool to touch! :D

Hope I haven't forgot anything :eek:

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
My brother's C2D white MB is staining. This problem has clearly not been fixed.

He has also seen black ones where the black has worn off in places. I didn't know that was possible, but he has seen it on CD black MBs.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
My brother's C2D white MB is staining. This problem has clearly not been fixed.

He has also seen black ones where the black has worn off in places. I didn't know that was possible, but he has seen it on CD black MBs.
When did his machine come out?

I’ve seen pics of affected black MBs – admittedly, there’s less of the models about, but very few people seem to have been affected (or at least complained!).

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Allright. Black it is :) I'll be ordering tomorrow.

Thank you all very much.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
When did his machine come out?

I’ve seen pics of affected black MBs – admittedly, there’s less of the models about, but very few people seem to have been affected (or at least complained!).

His, a white one, was a fairly early C2D MacBook.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've found that black iPods are great for watching videos on. Especially in less than stellar light, or in pitch black. All you see is the display.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
His, a white one, was a fairly early C2D MacBook.
Thanks - I was interested because it can take a while for the discolouration problem and although I read people still reporting it, they don't always say what rev it was.

Apple have changed the plastic in the handrest area (one MR poster says it's noticeably different) and that has seemed to improve the situation - not saying that it's fixed 100% for sure though! Certainly worth your brother getting it replaced if he's bothered by it.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Get black if you can afford it. It doesn't scratch as easily and doesn't get discolored like the white ones. I really wish I had gone black.

sjacarter

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
Black vs. White

Hey, I first had a white macbook and loved it........ its so sleek and nice. A few days later the new verson cam out an lets say major price drops. I brought back the white and got the black macbook. It had an extra 40 gigs for 50 bucks. plus it was balck and very niticabel. I was not sure i made the right decision but looking back on it, I realize that i did. ITs differnet, it looks awesom and tis soo sleek!!!

It dose show smudges and finger prins but they are easly cleand off with a microcloth. Scratches whise, they hide very easly. I have a few on the botom but are only noticabel in certon light. Go with the blakc, you will love it!!!

Enjoy the new mac!!!

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Go with black, it just feels better to touch,looks better, shows off the apple better, and is just cooler to have. Also, it's true it will show fingerprints, but with a little cleaning every so often, it'll look like new. Scratches? I can't find any on mine, it's immaculate except for a nick on the bottom. Once you go black... (you can only go Pro).

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
First off, who cares if it gets mistaken for an iBook?

Second, I've heard of quite a few instances where the black coating has started to peel/flake off under even normal use.

Extra $ for a product that, while it may look cool right out of the box, quickly looks beat up and "damaged"? Fuhgeddaboutit.

White MB all the way :cool:

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
From someone who's had both....

The White definetely shows scratches more, and the Black shows fingerprints more. But the Black is easier to clean off fingerprints with something like iKlear verses trying to remove scratches on the white, and don't forget about Discoloration!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.