Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleuhhhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Hello guys... wanna know which of them two (Macbook white or black) will be the more esay to scratch? On which of them will it be more visible?? Please leave your experiences...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello guys... wanna know which of them two (Macbook white or black) will be the more esay to scratch? On which of them will it be more visible?? Please leave your experiences...

Since they're made of the same material, they would be susceptible to scratches equally. Generally speaking, black looks incredible (like on cars) when it's clean and perfect, but dirt and scratches are usually more visible on black than white. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Not sure how easily you'll see scratches on either of them but the black MacBook is notorious for showing even the faintest fingerprint.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Since they're made of the same material, they would be susceptible to scratches equally. Generally speaking, black looks incredible (like on cars) when it's clean and perfect, but dirt and scratches are usually more visible on black than white. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference.

have you seen the two models up close? the black has a matte finish, opposed to the white's glossy finish. in terms of scratching, all you have to do is breathe on the white macbook, and it'll pick up a few scratches. it's true that the black will show the finger prints and oils, but the white model scratches like crazy.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
have you seen the two models up close? the black has a matte finish, opposed to the white's glossy finish. in terms of scratching, all you have to do is breathe on the white macbook, and it'll pick up a few scratches. it's true that the black will show the finger prints and oils, but the white model scratches like crazy.

Of course I've seen both models up close and used both. I wouldn't offer an opinion if I had no personal knowledge or experience on the matter. It's not a matter of glossy or matte finish. The white may scratch, but the scratches aren't as visible as they are on the black. Black shows imperfections much more than white, as evidenced by the fingerprints, oils, etc.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
judging from my experience with iPod videos, the white scratches less than the black. Personally, I like the white better.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
the macbook materials are a lot different than the iPods. I work on computers ereryday, and the black ones will stay looking new for much longer, or that is what I've seen. Even if they do both scratch as easily, they don't show up on the black, and you can wipe off fingerprints etc off the blackbook pretty easily. If you are that OCD though, spend the extra cash and get a MBP, no scratchs (unless it REALLY gets scratched) and no fingerprints...

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Owning a Black MacBook myself, I can say that I still have no scratches and compared to the white ones I see in the stores, black does look better. The white model has a glossy finish which causes it to scratch more easily like the 5th generation iPod classic. The matte finish does a better job of staying "clean".

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Get the black Macbook if you want to see every fingerprint you ever leave on it.

Ever.

greasyblackbook.jpg

Otherwise, get the white.

bleuhhhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
well the image is revealing... i'll still be confused about my choice, thx guys!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Get the black Macbook if you want to see every fingerprint you ever leave on it.

Ever.

greasyblackbook.jpg

Otherwise, get the white.

Cleaning solves this issue though...

To OP:

Black mostly hides scratches, but white doesn't scratch as easily as some people here suggest. My white is 1.5 years old and it hardly has any visible scratches.

The significant advantage black has IMO is that it doesn't get dirty as easily as white. I have to clean my white every 2 weeks with rubber, tissues and regular wet cloth for like half an hour to fully clean it. Rather annoying...

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas

While they are made of the same material. The finish would lead most people to believe that they are in fact different materials. The black doesn't scratch as much as the white does. An Incase Hardshell Case would solve that problem and gave you the matte finish in a variety of other colors.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I have used both and what is being said here for the most part is true to both. The white was very easy to scratch and the black was a grease magnet. Just get a protective cover as was mentioned and get what you think looks best :p

sargent bannana

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
i hate the color white just dont like it cant stand it white cars, white shirts, white ipods, white macs, white wii(i hide my wii) etc...

i prefer black over anything all the ipods i have owned were black, laptops black, computers black, i only own 1 white shirt

i think black looks best on electronics its gives it a sleek sexy look white gets dirt fast and looks ugly

thats my opinion though

-George:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.