Black out after sleep iMac G5 + Superdrive issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rod25munch, Nov 13, 2008.

1. rod25munch macrumors newbie

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the precious time you may take to read about my problem.

I´ve been experiencing problems after my iMac G5 sets on sleep mode for a long time. Its looks perfectly normal,

but once I hit a key or move the mouse, it seems it will respond like it does after a small sleep time, meaning that

little click it does, but suddenly the fan starts working full steam and the screen won´t come out from black.

This only occured once in a while, like a handfull over 2 years, so I thought it could be the large amount of

programs opened or whatever reason I thought it could originate the problem, so I used to reboot it and that was it.

Thing is, in the last month it got worse, and after I had a problem with the superdrive (which was never solved, and

I remember I did try a load of things) meaning it doesn´t regognize the proper size of the cds and won´t burn, this

black screen + fan working at full, is getting me worried.

It reboots perfectly, and does not give me error messages, if its of any help

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model : PowerMac8,1
    CPU Type : Power Mac G5 (3.0)
    CPU Speed: 1.8 Ghz
    L2 Cache (per Cpu) : 512 KB
    Memory : 1.25 GB
    Bus Speed : 600 Mhz
    Boot ROM Version : 5.2.2f4

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 25
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 23
    Dynamic Power Step: Yes
    Reduce Processor Speed: No
    Sleep On Power Button: Yes
    Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On LAN: Yes
    Wake On Modem Ring: No
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Thanks for reading...
    :apple:

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I have a similar problem in which my MacBook Pro will take longer to wake up. I will wake up the computer but the screen will remain black for about 2 minutes. This happens when a DVD is inserted into the drive. The DVD will be spun and once it stops the computer wakes up.

I also experience a problem with burning CDs. The drive will rattle quite loudly, which will make any Mac owner nervous.