Black plastic around iphone 3G screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yode, Jun 18, 2008.

1. yode macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    After comparing the iphone 3g and 1stgen iphone, it seems like the iphone 3g has some black plastic surrounding the screen that the 1st gen didnt have...
    [​IMG]
    That is the 3G. Now compare it to this:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the difference?

If the screen is the same size, and the width of the iphone is the same, how can there be that much space there?

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Because the chrome surround is not quite as wide - so the plastic bezel is slightly wider to compensate?

That is what the pics show anyway...

3. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

The iPhone 3G is (I believe) slightly wider than the original iPhone. this would explain the extra bit of plastic i guess.

4. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

does anyone else think the extra plastic looks a little tacky?

5. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

From the two pictures you posted, I think the iPhone 3G looks better. but the full plastic back, in my opinion, is definitely more tacky than before. It is like Apple are on an economy drive for the phone. Other posts suggest the screen is worse too. I still can't wait to get one though :D

6. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

i think the black plastic actually looks more 'sleek' becaues its just 1 solid color. The only downside is its gonna be very easy to scratch, need to invest in an invisibleshield thingy for the back/front.