Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yode

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey guys,
After comparing the iphone 3g and 1stgen iphone, it seems like the iphone 3g has some black plastic surrounding the screen that the 1st gen didnt have...
iphone_hardware3_20080609.jpg

That is the 3G. Now compare it to this:
iphone-07-01-09-3.gif

Notice the difference?

If the screen is the same size, and the width of the iphone is the same, how can there be that much space there?

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
If the screen is the same size, and the width of the iphone is the same, how can there be that much space there?

Because the chrome surround is not quite as wide - so the plastic bezel is slightly wider to compensate?

That is what the pics show anyway...

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
The iPhone 3G is (I believe) slightly wider than the original iPhone. this would explain the extra bit of plastic i guess.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
does anyone else think the extra plastic looks a little tacky?

From the two pictures you posted, I think the iPhone 3G looks better. but the full plastic back, in my opinion, is definitely more tacky than before. It is like Apple are on an economy drive for the phone. Other posts suggest the screen is worse too. I still can't wait to get one though :D

yode

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles
i think the black plastic actually looks more 'sleek' becaues its just 1 solid color. The only downside is its gonna be very easy to scratch, need to invest in an invisibleshield thingy for the back/front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.