Black plastic under display: it moves! (Ever so slightly, with force) Is that normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NPChaikin, Apr 4, 2009.

1. NPChaikin macrumors newbie

The little black plastic under the display moves ever so slightly if I move it myself. I noticed as I was wiping it. Is this normal?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do you have a picture of it? Although from what you've said so far it sounds like some dust or debris got in between the display and the backlight.

3. NPChaikin thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're confused; the black plastic that covers the hinge I presume, directly below the display when the laptop is open, moves along the hinge SO slightly if I move it.

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Mine does it a little bit too. You can wiggle it around if you try hard enough. I'm sure it's fine. Don't worry about it.

5. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

My black plastic thingy, if I rub my finger across it with enough pressure, it makes a popping noise. As if the plastic is popping back and forth.

6. NickM macrumors 6502

Unless you noticed it moving or making noise WITHOUT poking, pushing, or pulling on it, I wouldn't worry about it...and I'd also stop messing with it ;)
    Don't want to make it any worse...

7. La-vida227 macrumors member

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You know, if I press my laptop's screen hard enough, it breaks.

Is this normal?

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It's the small strip of plastic that houses the wireless antenna and the Bluetooth. Mine popped out, and took it to Apple.

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Pictures, or it didn't happen! :p

11. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I just tried to move mine but it seems to be rock solid.

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess Rev. A designs needs to be a little bit more refined.

14. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I just found this thread in a search. Mine's started to make creaky noises near it's left edge. I noticed it while wiping some dust. It just started making this noise in the last week or so. If I push on it just a little it creaks under my fingers. I don't mind it except that I'm worried it'll get worse.:(

15. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

You know you should really keep your bloody paws off the screen anyway. Seriously I would not be applying any pressure to the screens unless to clean it with a micro cloth other than that I catch someone touching my screen I will cut there damn fingers off.
    I say all this as a Photographer that has shot more commercial aircraft flat panel display's than I care to talk about and engineers are constantly putting there fingers all over the display's. Just want to make sure that if you touch the damn screen does that really illustrate there point any better than simply pointing at the stupid thing. Okay that was about 20 years of frustrating cleaning i had to do over these bozo's. Rant over:)

I also have two kids that do the same thing and there not toddlers either

16. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

It's not the screen. It's the black plastic covering the hinge under the screen.

17. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a