black rectrangle in my movie.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by danhercules, Mar 9, 2013.

1. danhercules macrumors member

I purchased The Lion King on iTunes. Works great on my computer and iPad. I have a GEN1 Apple Tv and synced it so Lion King was on it. When I play the movie on my TV, there is a small back rectangle on my tv. Its not there on the computer or iPad. Its not there when I play any other movie on my Apple TV. Any ideas?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

What did you use for the rip? HB? If so, try running it through again using the dedicated ATV 1 preset, and see if the mark is still there....I haven't yet seen this in relation to copyright so I'm guessing it's just a bad rip, or the wrong pre-set has been used.

Blu-Ray is another ball game though, with practice at identifying the right file to rip being the key....If your Lion King DVD IS Blu-Ray, then you will already have used Make MKV or similar to perform the initial rip...If that is the case, check the two largest files on the DVD, they are typically 20 or 30 GB, the largest is USUALLY, but not always the one you want...It comes down to two files, exclude everything else as you don't need it, then after the rip, check with VLC that you have sound and video.

3. danhercules thread starter macrumors member

I did not copy a dvd. I purchased the movie on iTunes with a iTunes gift card. I downloaded it on my Macbook into my iTunes then synced my Apple TV with my iTunes.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Hmm, you know that sounds like the TV....Any other black regions when viewing?

5. danhercules thread starter macrumors member

Nope. All other movies and video is all ok. Be it on my apple tv, dvd, satalite, ect.

So weird.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The only other thing is some form of DRM, but I doubt it...it's a weird one all right.

7. nnnz macrumors newbie

black rectrangle in my movie.

I have the same issue with a recently downloaded movie from itunes, will delete and try to download again.