Black & reflections...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djc6, Aug 28, 2007.

1. djc6 macrumors 6502

So, I really like my 24" imac... I think :)

Occasionally I do things like watch movies, visit dpreview.com, run Starry Night (astronomy software) or iDVD where there are large black areas on the screen. I can't decide if the reflections in these situations bother me enough to return the imac - its distracting when I move around to see the image on the screen move around, since the image on the screen is a perfect reflection of me.

My other option is a mini + 24" dell display. I'm not a gamer, so the integrated graphics isn't that big of a concern. I know the mini would be outdated quicker, but with the money I save and the fact the display is seperate, I could justify getting a replacement for it sooner.

The other item that lured me toward the 24" imac is the $200 ipod rebate (i'm a student). I used it toward a 8GB ipod nano.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I gotta decide by tomorrow :)

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

You won't be saving much money for a computer setup that is not nearly as nice...

But it is your decision... Why do you want someone else to make it for you?

3. heswa macrumors newbie

The poster didn't ask for someone to make the decision. The poster was just asking for advise ("thoughts"). Isn't that what these forums are for?

4. hologram macrumors 6502

Well no, not really. He's not asking whether a processor can handle a certain task, or whether it has enough vram for yada-yada, he's asking us if he should keep it because of the reflections. What kind of advice are we supposed to give him???

That's the kind of decision that no amount of advice in the world can help him with, it's like he's asking us what color shirt he should wear when he cleans the garage.

IMHO it's a silly question. I don't mean to put down the OP, but I'm constantly amazed at the questions people ask here. Sure, there's a lot of help and advice available, but if you can't even make a personal-taste decision like this for yourself, how can you expect anyone else to make it for you?

Wear the blue shirt, and keep the iMac!

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Exactly, it seems like the OP wants us to assure him it is a good idea to keep the iMac.

So OP, Keep the iMac!

6. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I'd say keep the iMac. I'm really betting that you'll get used to the glare, and I REALLY think that you'd eventually miss that thing when it was gone! That's my two cents.

7. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I read on here that it's relatively simple to take the glass plate off of the new iMacs. I'm sure if you asked maverick808, he'd be happy to tell you how. :)

8. djc6 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is more the kind of advice I was looking for, things I can go to minimize the reflections. I actually already thought of this and wore a black t-shirt while using the machine today, it only helped a little :) I tend to wear white t-shirts which really show up when I have 'dark' tasks running on the computer.

9. hologram macrumors 6502

:D:D:D

I hear ya. I'm going to be buying a 24" myself after Leopard, and I'm way to far from an Apple store to see one in person, but at least I can control the lighting so I'm not worried.

I think that says it all. Right now, you're probably paying more attention to the reflections than you usually would, but only you can know that for sure.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

The reflective screen was a deal killer for me. I was lucky and got the last white 24" iMac the store had and paid only $999. (Because it was the last one.) The screen on these older iMacs was great. I think Apple will sell quite a few more minis now.

"Glossy" screens are just like "lite beer". Some beer company exec figured a way to simply add more water to each can and still sell it at the same price. I can just hear the brewers "No way! We can't just add water! Who'd buy it?" then the marketing guy says "We'll call it Lite and sell the extra water as a premium feature". It worked. Same with the iMac. The Apple engineers all said "What? Remove the anti-glare coating? Yes it saves money but who will buy it?" Then Steve says "I'll call it Glossy and sell it as a premium feature" It's working.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

Just buy a black turtleneck

The 24" screen is so bright that when the screen is mostly filled with white space it will light up a dark room, not quite like daylight but bright enough to read. So even in a full on darkroom if there are light color objects close to the screen (like you in a white shirt) they will be illuminated by the imac's backlight and show as reflections on the screen.

So now I know why black shirts are popular at Apple.

12. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

The post of a true ignoramous.

You think apple is saving money by adding glass? Okay buddy...

13. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

You get a free printer (up to $100), too, going through Apple.

-=|Mgkwho

14. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

With regard to the new glass screen, I think most people are subconsciously responding to the difference between matte and glossy, rather than directly to the glossiness itself.

I'd say keep the iMac; it's a beautiful machine.