Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Hello i am newbie and have read with great enthusiasm different threads in sub forum “Mac Pro” about upgrading a Mac Pro Computer.

I have done some upgrading and current state is:
Mac Pro 2010 5,1 upgraded with X5675 processors / 48 GB ram.
OsX 10.11.6 upgraded to 10.12.6 -> 10.13.6
Upgrade HD 5770 with Radeon Sapphire pulse 8GB video card
Upgrade to Firmware 140.0.0.0.0
HDD1 OsX 10.13.6 / Windows 7
HDD2 OsX 10.11.6 (cloned with CCC) / Windows 7 (cloned with Winclone)

After i cloned the bootcamp partition on HDD1 to the first partition on HDD2 and i cloned osx 10.11.6 (from external disk via USB 2.0) to 2e partition HDD2, i booted up with HDD1 10.13.6 and in System Preferences i did choose as bootdisk HDD2 10.11.6, because i wanted to see if the clone was working correctly. After a restart i got a black screen. I tried several things like:
- Pulled out HDD2 from the slot in order to force booting from hdd1.
- Replace Sapphire with original HD 5770 graphic card.
- Battery on mainboard pulled out for about 1 min. I was hoping the SMC / Firmware did reset.
- Tried apple commando like Alt, Apple+R, T (target mode).
- tried to boot via usb 2.0 HDD osx 10.12.6.

All these steps didn’t help and give all black screens. There seems also no hard disk activity after power up. On both graphic cards i get no bootscreen.

I don’t know what too do anymore. Any help would be very much appreciated !!

Best regards,
Rene

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello i am newbie and have read with great enthusiasm different threads in sub forum “Mac Pro” about upgrading a Mac Pro Computer.

I have done some upgrading and current state is:
Mac Pro 2010 5,1 upgraded with X5675 processors / 48 GB ram.
OsX 10.11.6 upgraded to 10.12.6 -> 10.13.6
Upgrade HD 5770 with Radeon Sapphire pulse 8GB video card
Upgrade to Firmware 140.0.0.0.0
HDD1 OsX 10.13.6 / Windows 7
HDD2 OsX 10.11.6 (cloned with CCC) / Windows 7 (cloned with Winclone)

After i cloned the bootcamp partition on HDD1 to the first partition on HDD2 and i cloned osx 10.11.6 (from external disk via USB 2.0) to 2e partition HDD2, i booted up with HDD1 10.13.6 and in System Preferences i did choose as bootdisk HDD2 10.11.6, because i wanted to see if the clone was working correctly. After a restart i got a black screen. I tried several things like:
- Pulled out HDD2 from the slot in order to force booting from hdd1.
- Replace Sapphire with original HD 5770 graphic card.
- Battery on mainboard pulled out for about 1 min. I was hoping the SMC / Firmware did reset.
- Tried apple commando like Alt, Apple+R, T (target mode).
- tried to boot via usb 2.0 HDD osx 10.12.6.

All these steps didn’t help and give all black screens. There seems also no hard disk activity after power up. On both graphic cards i get no bootscreen.

I don’t know what too do anymore. Any help would be very much appreciated !!

Best regards,
Rene
Remove all your disks and try to boot from a createinstallmedia USB installer, need to be 10.12.6 or newer.

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks Tsialex,

I have created the USB-installler 10.12.6, but still get a black screen. I could switch to the original HD5770 card and try again?
I also notice at powering up that the CD drive gives some movement. Perhaps i can make an Install CD and try again via the internal CD Drive?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks Tsialex,

I have created the USB-installler 10.12.6, but still get a black screen. I could switch to the original HD5770 card and try again?
I also notice at powering up that the CD drive gives some movement. Perhaps i can make an Install CD and try again via the internal CD Drive?
Try with you original GPU, same 10.12.6 installer. If you can't get anything on the screen you have a hardware problem.

Did you checked if the EFI diag led keeps off when you press the diag button? Download the Service Manual for 2010 Mac Pro, you will find everything to diagnose your Mac Pro.

If so you have a brick and these are your options:
  • you can desolder the SPI flash, reprogram it externally, solder it back (start from this post #929),
  • replace the backplane,
  • buy a Mac Pro MATT card.

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks a lot Tsialex for the good advices.
I am going to following the steps and as soon as i can, i will come back here to share the outcome.

Thanks again !!

Reactions: crjackson2134

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I have done some steps.

- Put in original GPU with 10.12.6 installer --> black screen
- Changed original GPU to slot 2 --> black screen
- pushed rtc button for more then 1 sec (nearby battery) --> at powering up there is some HDD activity for 2 a 3 sec. but still black screen.
- Putt in HDD1. in power off state only 5V STBY is green. At powering up EFI DONE and GPU OK are flashing for less then 1 sec. A few seconds later only the following led lights continuously: PSU PWROK green, 5V STBY orange, SYS PG green. I wonder if EFI DONE and GPU OK should also light up green!?

Furthermore everything seems ok. No continuous light or so.

I forgot to mention. I also tried this. I have put Pulse RX580 in slot 1 and original GPU in slot 2. After that i saw 2 red light burning continuously. Perhaps the cards where seated to close to each other. The power for the HD 5770 came from the HDD Sata connector 3. After i swapped the HD5770 to slot 3 the leds were out. Could i have done some damage to the power supply causes not to boot anymore?

Do you recommend when following the diagnosing part of the service manual to start from scratch. Meaning remove all hardware and connectors as suggested in the manual?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 2018-12-31 07.49.35.jpg
    2018-12-31 07.49.35.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 117

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
i had a similar problem after swapping PCIe cards around ended up needing a new back plane!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have done some steps.

- Put in original GPU with 10.12.6 installer --> black screen
- Changed original GPU to slot 2 --> black screen
- pushed rtc button for more then 1 sec (nearby battery) --> at powering up there is some HDD activity for 2 a 3 sec. but still black screen.
- Putt in HDD1. in power off state only 5V STBY is green. At powering up EFI DONE and GPU OK are flashing for less then 1 sec. A few seconds later only the following led lights continuously: PSU PWROK green, 5V STBY orange, SYS PG green. I wonder if EFI DONE and GPU OK should also light up green!?

Furthermore everything seems ok. No continuous light or so.
EFI DONE should be lit.

Do you recommend when following the diagnosing part of the service manual to start from scratch. Meaning remove all hardware and connectors as suggested in the manual?
Yes, you have to simplify to troubleshoot.

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
i had a similar problem after swapping PCIe cards around ended up needing a new back plane!

Did you had a diagnose led or something that pointed out to the defect backplane?
I might have also a defect backplane or an EFI issue. When i made a bootcamp clone with Winclone it asked me if i wanted it to be bootable. I did not do it because i had to buy Winclone pro. But now i am wondering if Winclone could have messed up the Efi bootrom. But hopefully i will find out when i start troubleshooting.

EFI DONE should be lit.
Thanks Tsialex!! At least i know now there is something wrong.

I think i start first with diagnose. A nice challenge for 2019.

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I haven done some troubleshooting.

I followed the apple technical guide Mac Pro 2010 and started at page 33 Minimal configuration testing.

I removed all hardware and disconnect all cables except Airport card, Bluetooth card Battery and Frontpanel board. I hope this is sufficient.

Step 3, Connect AC power cord and Press the DIAG button, OK
Step 6, Turn ON the Mac Pro, OK (EFI done and GPU ok are both green !!)
Step 10, Connect AC power cord and Press the DIAG button, OK
Step 11 Reinstall a processor and heatsink in processor A connector, and one known good and compatible Apple memory DIMM in slot 1. Turn ON the Mac Pro, OK, except i don't hear chime. So i have to reset PRAM and retest, I connected keyboard only and use Command-Option-P-R keys at powering up. But nothing happens.

Is there another way to reset the Pram?
Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I haven done some troubleshooting.

I followed the apple technical guide Mac Pro 2010 and started at page 33 Minimal configuration testing.

I removed all hardware and disconnect all cables except Airport card, Bluetooth card Battery and Frontpanel board. I hope this is sufficient.

Step 3, Connect AC power cord and Press the DIAG button, OK
Step 6, Turn ON the Mac Pro, OK (EFI done and GPU ok are both green !!)
Step 10, Connect AC power cord and Press the DIAG button, OK
Step 11 Reinstall a processor and heatsink in processor A connector, and one known good and compatible Apple memory DIMM in slot 1. Turn ON the Mac Pro, OK, except i don't hear chime. So i have to reset PRAM and retest, I connected keyboard only and use Command-Option-P-R keys at powering up. But nothing happens.

Is there another way to reset the Pram?
Thanks!
If this happened with me, I'd desolder the SPI flash and reprogram it externally before trying a new backplane. Since you can get backplanes around $70 on ebay, it's the next logical step for you to troubleshoot.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Tsialex, thanks!

Do you know where i can reprogram the SPI chip? Or maybe buy a new already pre programmed SPI chip?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Tsialex, thanks!

Do you know where i can reprogram the SPI chip? Or maybe buy a new already pre programmed SPI chip?
Buy a ch341a SPI programmer + a SOIC-8W adapter or a SOIC8 clip and reprogram your own chip, AliExpress/eBay/Amazon has it on the cheap.

This is the one that I used before buying a dedicated programmer: https://www.amazon.com/Programmer-CH341A-Burner-EEPROM-Writer/dp/B074T8Q2V1

Desolder the SPI flash, reprogram it, solder it back (start from this post #929)

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks!!
I will do. And i am also going to buy some flux and desolder litze wire. Or maybe i can try first with a heater.
But first follow the link #929 so i know what to do.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thanks!!
I will do. And i am also going to buy some flux and desolder litze wire. Or maybe i can try first with a heater.
But first follow the link #929 so i know what to do.

I assume you are highly skilled and do this for a living, or have a lot of similar hobby experience. This is not really a simple task.

Installing a replacement backplane board is relatively inexpensive and far less difficult. I’ve done it twice without significant difficulties, and it doesn’t take long. Good Luck...

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I have quit a lot of experience with soldering and have good equipment (Weller WS81), although not with tiny smd chips like the SPI chip. But i think i can manage it.

Anyone have good experience with this method to desolder the chip.

Renej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I finally did desolder the rom chip.
I first tried with weller gas solder equipment with hot air desoldering Nozzle off 4,9mm diameter but it won't get loose. Perhaps i should have taken 7,0 mm. But anyway i tried with the method in thread 16 and that worked fine.

Tsialex, can you help me with the original Rom file for Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2010? So i can try to flash the rom.

Thanks.

[Edit:] I just looked at the backplane. It says Apple 820-2337-A, C 2009, 639-0461, 631-1427. The 2009 is weird because i ordered at the time a 2010 mid pro machine. Does it mean i have a Mac pro 4,1?

Attachments

• 20190202_104201.jpg
    20190202_104201.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
  • 20190202_120020.jpg
    20190202_120020.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 93
  • 20190203_075410.jpg
    20190203_075410.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I finally did desolder the rom chip.
I first tried with weller gas solder equipment with hot air desoldering Nozzle off 4,9mm diameter but it won't get loose. Perhaps i should have taken 7,0 mm. But anyway i tried with the method in thread 16 and that worked fine.

Tsialex, can you help me with the original Rom file for Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2010? So i can try to flash the rom.

Thanks.

[Edit:] I just looked at the backplane. It says Apple 820-2337-A, C 2009, 639-0461, 631-1427. The 2009 is weird because i ordered at the time a 2010 mid pro machine. Does it mean i have a Mac pro 4,1?
I'll send you a PM, probably tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.