Black Screen After Sleep in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by No1nfoProvided, Aug 31, 2010.

1. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I've been experiencing a black screen with a frozen cursor (everything is basically frozen) after waking up from sleep in Windows Vista. The Mac side of things are fine, and its super annoying, because I have to do a hard reboot each time this happens. I tried google, but it appears that everyone that has a problem similar to this has a responsive computer or just needed a different driver for their graphics card. I've tried installing a different X1600 driver for this, but it didn't work. I'm on a MBP1,1 running Windows Vista SP2 (fully upgraded) with Bootcamp 3.1. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump. No ideas? I've been reading that a lot of people are upgrading their BIOS, but Macs can't do that :/

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

A picture speaks a thousand words...

[​IMG]

This is a technical diagram of how hard Vista sucks.

4. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

haha. I know, I only use it to play games, however, and I am looking for a new iMac or something to buy so I don't have to use my old MBP as my day to day machine.

5. Tarek macrumors 6502

Yeah I have an idea. Get rid of Windows Vista ASAP and go for Windows 7 if you want Aero.

6. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't care about Aero and I have a CD of XP, but my MBP just spits it out after putting it in. It won't read the disc at all. I tried googling ways of making it bootable for Mac from USB, but no dice so far. Do any of you guys anything I can try?

7. Tarek macrumors 6502

Seems like your optical drive died, and so did mine. All I did was use my desktop computer's optical drive and connect it to my MacBook Pro using IDE to USB with external power connected to the DVD drive.

This is my setup:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't recommend replacing the internal optical drive of the MacBook Pro as it sucks and will die again.

If you don't have the cable or the DVD drive and want a cheaper way that will work for one or twice, get a CD/DVD cleaner, insert it, and use it. After that, immediately insert the Windows XP CD and install.

PS: You can not boot from a USB on a Macintosh as the only way to do it on a PC is by playing in the configuration of the BIOS. Unfortunately, Macintosh computers don't have a BIOS.