Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Hey all.

I have been experiencing a very annoying problem since a week ago or so. I have googled it and I have found a couple of people with the same problem, it all seems to point to a new security update Apple released with 10.9.3.

When my Mac Mini goes to sleep for a long period of time, when I wake it up, I only have a black screen on my Apple Cinema Display. All black, like if the screen was off.

Things I have tried:
* At first I though it was the screen, but plugged a MBA to it and turned up just fine.
* Tried letting the Mini going back to sleep and waking it up again... nothing.

Thing is, I can here the volume changing if I press F11 and F12. I here that keyboard beep if I press keys, so the computer seems to be awake just fine.

Holding down power button and turning the computer back on, fixes the problem... obviously... I also tried blindly logging in and turning the computer off (left to go to my user in the log screen, enter, entering password, enter, ctrl+eject, enter), and also worked. So it's got to be something with the video driver or server.

Anyone experiencing this? Any solutions?

Thanks!!

EDIT: No new software installed in the last 2 or 3 months. No hardware modifications. No nothing.

Last edited:

j0ester

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Does the key commands still work? Like, if you press "caps lock" you can see the green light go on?

Or is this black screen just showing black, but you can move your mouse pointer around?

I've seen it happened on both occasions of OS X 10.9.2 and 10.9.3.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Does the key commands still work? Like, if you press "caps lock" you can see the green light go on?

Or is this black screen just showing black, but you can move your mouse pointer around?

I've seen it happened on both occasions of OS X 10.9.2 and 10.9.3.

Haven't tried to press the Caption Lock key to be honest. Didn't think about that!

As for you other question, 100% black. No mouse pointer whatsoever. Nothing at all. But, as I said in my OP, I can blindly log in and turn off the computer.

I had 10.9.2 installed before and didn't experience this. It started happening when I updated to 10.9.3.

Thanks!

j0ester

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
A user had the same exact issue. And it was a GPU Fault. After receiving the black screen, he'll receive a Kernal panic.

MIT Helpdesk had to install a new Logic Board.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
A user had the same exact issue. And it was a GPU Fault. After receiving the black screen, he'll receive a Kernal panic.

MIT Helpdesk had to install a new Logic Board.

I don't get any kernel panics, and I don't have a GPU per se, it's the HD4000 integrated into the CPU. (Mac Mini 2012).

I have more info: When the Mini is in this sleep mode that causes these problems, the blinking led in front of the Mini is completely off. It doesn't blink whatsoever, yet when I press a key of my keyboard, it turns on immediately. (With a black screen, of course)

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
Try turning off the screensaver. Had same issue in mountain lion. I read all the articles because this is a typical problem on macs. I turned off my screensaver completely and make the computer go to sleep. My black screen issues went away. I don't like the solution, but it worked. I find it funny that so many macs have a wake from sleep issue. Sort of an annoying problem that never has been fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.