black screen and vibrating/buzzing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Abfarris, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Abfarris macrumors member

I dropped my iPhone 5s and the phone froze for a second then the screen went black. Since then I have tried hooking the phone to my computer (so that I could back it up again) and now all it does is buzz every few seconds. Occasionally it will have a larger pause between buzzes and at other times it will do a double buzz.

I have tried to hold down the home button to activate siri so that I can use voice commands to take the passcode off, does anyone have any solutions to work around this so I can backup the phone since nothing seems to be working? My computer does recognize the phone, but needs the passcode off or unlocked to do the backup.

Does anyone know if I simply have a broken screen, or if it sounds like something worse than that?

2. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

If the computer reckons the phone wants a passcode entered, then that suggests the phone has successfully booted up, but simply isn't displaying anything.

It is expected that the phone will buzz whenever you power it on, and if memory serves, also whenever you connect it to a charger. It's possible other buzzes indicate notifications such as incoming texts. You could try using another phone to message or call the device, and see what it does - if you get any sort of direct response, then that would also indicate the phone is up and running.

At this stage I'm thinking it's more likely that the display is the only problem.