Black screen blinking cursor! HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by diond730, Apr 26, 2011.

1. diond730 macrumors newbie

Hi, ive been using bootcamp for a couple months now, but just yesterday after turning on my mac + holding alt/option and choosing my windows partition, it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the topleft corner. I dont wanna delete the partition cause i have lots of stuff on it and dont wanna restart all over again:(... Can anyone help please? Thank you

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Insert your windows DVD and repair your bootcamp installation.

3. diond730 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for replying! but i think im doing it wrong. i tried to follow the link you had but its not working for me. can you please help walk me through it or anyone else who wants to help me? i started up my mac with the mac os x dvd and went to the disk utility but my bootcamp partition wasnt allowing me to repair it ( grayed out options ).

4. brucem91 macrumors 6502

That link is for getting an OS X install up and running if it won't boot. That link won't work at all for windows. Flopticalcube was talking about putting the windows install DVD into your computer, and running windows startup repair from that disk.

5. diond730 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the windows cd but i have no idea how to repair it using the cd. can someone help me with the commands?

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

XP, Vista, 7?

If XP: Insert disc, hold alt/opt at startup then choose the Windows disc. Wait for the computer to load all the drivers etc. Then press the following keys in the following order: 'Enter', 'F8', then 'R'. Then follow the onscreen prompts. It'll look like Windows is reinstalling itself but it is actually just repairing the system. All your files and settings will be preserved.

Vista/7: Insert disc, hold alt/opt at startup then choose the Windows disc. Wait for the computer to load the Windows installer. Choose language/kb layout/etc then click Next. Don't click Install now, instead, select Repair your computer. Choose your Windows installation in the popup and click Next. Installer will search for problems and give you the option to repair you installation, if possible.

Cheers

7. diond730 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi guys, i repaired the windows using the cd but it still goes to the black screen with the blinking cursor on the top left after holding option and clicking my bootcamp partition... any other solutions?

8. TheMacBookPro, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  9. diond730 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

11. diond730 thread starter macrumors newbie

awww..=\ yea i can see the drive in osx. do you know what happened to make my bootcamp error? cause it was working just fine for a couple months and suddenly when i turned on my computer again and chose my bootcamp partition it went to the black screen with the blinking cursor..

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Possible hard disk corruption, virus (unlikely, but a possibliity), all sorts of things.

Upgrade to Win7 while you're at it ;)