Black Screen-HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heidisetzer, Jun 2, 2015.

1. heidisetzer macrumors newbie

New to MacRumors and am not sure if I post here. I have an older Mac Pro 1,1, Dual-Core Intel Xeon, ATI Radeon x1900 xt with 2 GB memory. Two nights ago the screen froze, I restarted and got the grey screen with apple then sign in screen but it stalled there; restarted again and got to grey apple screen and it stalled there; restarted again and only get a black screen but I do get the bell sound just no grey, apple screen and the fans seem to be running too. I have restarted so many times since then but same scenario. I have changed the PRAM battery and moved the computer to a different room/different outlet, same black screen. I apologize if this is not where to post this or if it has been posted before. I really loved this mac and cannot see a future that I can afford to purchase another one. Any help would be truly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Heidi

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Try restarting in verbose mode, single user mode, or safe mode and see if you get any further. At lease with verbose mode, you should get some sort of output on the screen assuming the video card hasn't failed.

3. heidisetzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your reply! I tried restarting in verbose and single user safe mode to no avail. I am thinking that it may very well be the video card. I get the chime but the screen remains black. Would replacing the video card be an easy and not too costly fix? Any ideas on what I model I would replace it with?
    Again thanks!
    Heidi

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I would consider replacing it with ATI Radeon 5770.