Black screen iMac icons visible with torch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ljd, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Ljd macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm new to asking for help on forums but I'm stuck and could do with a bit of advice.
    I have a 2012 a1419 iMac 27. I bought it with a black screen, but the icons are visible with a torch. Plugging in an external monitor works fine.
    I've tried replacing the whole LCD unit -no good.
    I'm about to try a new display cable, but the costs are mounting......
    I know it must be a backlight issue, but I can't see any separate module/board on this machine for that.
    What could it be, and how can I fix it? Fuse, cable, chip...... im willing to try anything (as the wife is pretty unhappy with the costs......).
    Everything else seems fine.
    Help please...
    Thanks
    L :)

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Might not be the backlight, but the cable that connects the backlight to the LCD. Doing a Google search returned results that the cold solder used can crack with age. Re-soldering the connector fixes the issue.

3. Ljd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for this. Are there any videos etc anywhere where I could see/follow how to try this? Would I see the crack under a microscope, or is it too difficult to see. Would I need to unsolder the whole thing to start again?
    I'm trying the new cable itself first (when it arrives). Someone else suggested a fuse, but I have no schematics so see which it is. There are posts elsewhere about other machines' fuses, but I can't see on my board which it is (white spot on top)...