Black screen new HDD

Kaz69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2015
London
Hi all

I bought a mac book pro 13inch early 2011 very cheap as no ram or HDD. I have a 2gb ram for it and a HDD which has nothing on it. I start the mac and the small light comes on to show its powering on but the screen stays black I put this down to nothing being on the HDD but is there a way to start the mac and test the screen works as well.

Thanks

Kaz69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2015
London
Cheers T5BRICK there's no beeps on start up so thought it wasn't the ram but this is the one I got (photo)

Attachments

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
That seems to be the correct speed for that model. Does it beep if no RAM is installed? Maybe the RAM is bad, or the slot is bad.

Kaz69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2015
London
When I first started it with no ram and HDD a single long beep came on. Since putting the ram in and HDD there's no beep just the small light comes on I here the spins internally then that's it. I tried putting the ram in both slots but still the same. If the slot is bad can I do anything or not

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'd try a different stick of RAM, otherwise there may be a logic board issue. Could be the RAM slot, or maybe the CPU. It was probably cheap for a reason.

Kaz69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2015
London
I'll give the ram a try if no luck then I'll bin it, was dirt cheap so no loss really cheers

Kaz69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2015
London
If the screen is black could I hook up an external screen to try to see if it's the display or wouldn't not show up?

Cheers