Black screen new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaz69, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Kaz69 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I bought a mac book pro 13inch early 2011 very cheap as no ram or HDD. I have a 2gb ram for it and a HDD which has nothing on it. I start the mac and the small light comes on to show its powering on but the screen stays black I put this down to nothing being on the HDD but is there a way to start the mac and test the screen works as well.

Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. Kaz69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers T5BRICK there's no beeps on start up so thought it wasn't the ram but this is the one I got (photo)

Attached Files:

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That seems to be the correct speed for that model. Does it beep if no RAM is installed? Maybe the RAM is bad, or the slot is bad.

5. Kaz69 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I first started it with no ram and HDD a single long beep came on. Since putting the ram in and HDD there's no beep just the small light comes on I here the spins internally then that's it. I tried putting the ram in both slots but still the same. If the slot is bad can I do anything or not

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd try a different stick of RAM, otherwise there may be a logic board issue. Could be the RAM slot, or maybe the CPU. It was probably cheap for a reason.

7. Kaz69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give the ram a try if no luck then I'll bin it, was dirt cheap so no loss really cheers

8. Kaz69 thread starter macrumors newbie

If the screen is black could I hook up an external screen to try to see if it's the display or wouldn't not show up?

Cheers