"Black Screen of Dead"

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by amaza, Apr 26, 2009.

1. amaza macrumors newbie

Hi i've recently installed warhammer online in my computer, but i can't play no longer than 20 mins without my screen going black,the 9600 getting so hot i can't even touch the keyboard, and later then, the computer freezes, so i'm forced to do a hard boot. Anyways i've searched the entire day for a solution, and i've tried using other drivers, overclocking and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I only got to find threads about this prolem and their from late 2008, so im wondering, Is a solution to this problem now? And if not do you think getting those laptop fans that you put under the laptop would fix the problem? Or should i just give up and accept the fact that i wasted $40+ and the $2600 from the laptop...

Thanks for you help!
    PS
    I bought my mac in January... its a MacBook Pro 15"
    the graphics card is the Ge Force 9600

2. imassents macrumors 6502

!?

You don't overclock if you are having issues with temperature.

Is this run under Windows?

Also, if your Mac meets the requirements, it should have no problems running the game. The computer is designed to dissipate the heat under full load (I would hope) and should not overheat. Do you use it on a hard surface that assists with ventilation (as opposed to a blanket/carpet)?

3. amaza thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant undercloacking sry and yeah it meats the requirements it's on a flat surface and it is running on windows xp sp3 ;(

4. Everlast macrumors newbie

Everlast

My MBP(Jan'09) gets hot too when playing GTA4 under bootcamp windows xp sp3.

But I found that it will rev up the fan itself when the temperature hit a certain range, around 80c and above. After that, the temperature will drop down to 70ish range. So I wouldn't worry much about the heat issue, and keep playing for more than 3 hours without any problem.

I'm wondering have you heard the fan rev up after you started the game for like 10 to 15mins? It should if not something changed and preventing the fan to rev up normally.

5. amaza thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah fans do rev up the problem only happens in windows... But it usually gets pretty hot too in Mac running WoW for about 30 mins, I would of returned it alrdy but I heard that they won't do anything if the problem is on windows

6. Everlast macrumors newbie

Everlast

Have you try install some temperature monitoring tool ? like smcFancontrol or istat widget.

Keep tracking with the fan speed and temperature while you play WoW. See has it normally rev up the fans around 80-90c or too late to do so.

7. amaza thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh I tried smcfan control but it failed as well :( i've found similar problems like mine, actually I found the same problem, but they where able to fix it with a different driver, the different driver def helped mine, I was able to play 15 mins instead of 5, though the threads that i found their all from late 2008, I was hoping there was a way to fix the problem today, should I take it back to bestbuy?

8. Everlast macrumors newbie

Everlast

If you are experiencing the same random crash on other programs, it may be hardware issue.

But after I read some other posted on WoW website, some people are getting the CTD problem too, and they are playing on a PC, so I think, it' the game itself, maybe it runs better on other machine settings.

9. amaza thread starter macrumors newbie

I think getting one of those fans is gonna help, I read in another thread that when using windows the vents are working as if the graphics card was the 9400M but windows is using the 9600, anyways I'll take to bestbuy maybe it's a stupid problem or maybe not :x but I beleive this is probably my first and last mac :(

10. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

First mistake is going to best-buy to get it checked out. Most of those folks know nothing of a Mac. I would suggest that if you bought it in January then its still covered by Apple 1 Year Warranty. So I would give Apple a call and or if you are near an Apple store then take it there and go to the Genius bar and have them look at it. But Best-Buy???

Bill.....:apple:

11. amaza thread starter macrumors newbie

Will Apple help me if the problem is in Windows?

12. akm3 macrumors 68020

I have the same problem.

Apple will not help us out because I can't make it happen under OS X, even though I can bomb the system in 5 minutes in Windows, repeatably and with many different games.

When I underclocked the card as far as possible, it DID help , but didn't completely prevent the problem. This is also using the fan thing to make the fans run as fast as possible 100% of the time.

So, if I can't fix it with fans at 100% and underclocked as slow as possible, and Apple won't help because it's under Windows, I'm kind of screwed.

13. amaza thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you tell me how did you undercloacked it :p?

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

... I have to go from memory here becuase my Windows install got completely hosed and I wiped the whole thing.

There were two ways to do it ...
    but the only one I can remember is RivaTuner.

I think to make that work I had to install the real Nvidia drivers form laptopvideo2go.com .... I think it didn't work with the bootcamp version of the drivers.

I can't really find the links I used to make it happen. If I run across it again, I'll post here....This is relevant to me because I am going to be reinstalling windows when I get a few free hours.