BLACK screen of Death after Security Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Geary, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Geary macrumors newbie

First post here. I'm glad you all are here and I have every hope that you all can help me. I'm typing this in the 9.2 partitioned side of my trusty ol' 533 mh g4.....because my OSX 10.3.9 side has just freaked out on me for the first time since buying this baby nearly 7 years ago.

I downloaded Apple's latest Security Update yesterday morning upon receiving the prompt....as per usual. I've never had a problem with my mac...until yesterday after rebooting.

All I get is a black screen and a couple lines of white type that says something like etc/passwd./ "something something" else. I know, I should go back and hand write down what it says. But, anyhow....for now I just wanted to find out what the hell is going on.?? I've never seen or heard of this "black screen of death" on a Mac until yesterday. I've been a Mac user since Illustrator 88 and this is a first for me and anyone in my circle of "graphics folk" .

HELP! What can I do. I've got a TON of iPhoto treasures over there...not to mention a bunch of new work on my desktop, etc., etc.

I've got an external USB H/D so I've tried to retrieve/save everything I possibly can...but, still worried.

Is this the END of my computer? If not, then what's the "fix".

Appreciate any and all help. ~Geary

2. Geary thread starter macrumors newbie

So, here's what I'm seeing for the "single user" on the black screen:

/etc/master.passwd: not a directory
    /etc/master.passwd: not a directory
    -sh: /etc/profile: Not a directory
    -sh-2.05b#

Thanks again for any help.
    ~Geary