Black Screen of death! HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by canuelo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. canuelo macrumors member

canuelo

Hi. I have had a look through the forums but can't find anything to answer my problem, maybe someone can help. I have a Power Mac G4 1.5 Ghz Procesor. 2 GB Ram. 500 DD. I was running 10.2.8 and went to the apple store and bought Leopard New version 10.5.6 which installed with no probs, as I am doing a software update a black screen slowly comes down and says I have to reboot. In the "Inform Apple" section is shows " Darwin Kernel ecv2sd" I am now loading the Software back in again and hooking up a time macine before I do anything else. Is there something I have missed!!. Thanks for any advice from you guys who have more experience in this area.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Black screen of death = Kernel panic. That should help search out solutions. Use the MRoogle link in my signature to help find related threads.

3. canuelo thread starter macrumors member

canuelo

Kernel Panic

Hi. OK I will have a look. Have inserted the OS disc again to reload and it is stuck at about 10% installed for 30 mins Lol!!

4. canuelo thread starter macrumors member

canuelo

Kernel Panic

Hi again. seems to me from the link you have kindly given me that is is mostly down to software issues or hardware added after a clean install. I installed using the older mac keyboard, the one with the transparent base and then switeched over to an aluminium keyboard. WHY? well the aluminium keyboard won't open the disc drive on the G4 where as the older keyboard does. It could have been that or the HDMI Monitor I have plugged in. Seems as though it will not allow me to do a clean install. I have tried 2 times with the Leopard in the reader and it goes through the norm, do you want to erase all data and install Mac OS X I click yes then continue after that the blue line comes up and sticks at 10%. I think I will use my Mac Book pro for a few days untill my patience calmes down to a Normal level.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Reading another thread, there was an idea to install Leopard onto a firewire drive and boot from it to see if things work. This would help diagnose if there's a hard drive issue or not. That assumes you have a firewire drive though. It does seem like there may be a hardware issue though, but I don't have much experience in this area to further troubleshoot.

6. canuelo thread starter macrumors member

canuelo

angelwatt

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. I have installed the original Power mac G4 Discs done all the updates and then loaded 10.5 leopard from fresh, the same black screen in 2 days. One thing I have noticed though is that the G4 seems to have trouble even when you are srolling down a web page or workingin keynotes, it seems as though it can't keep up and has a slight time lag. I have a strange feeling that the processor could have some issue although before it went to the macintosh to be repaired it was pretty fast even when I had leopard installed at that time!. They said it was best to reformat and do a fresh install with a foot note saying it was a "Permisions" problem and charged 60 euros. I know now that it had nothig to do with permisions at all and was probably a ploy to sell an original copy of leopard 10.5 knowing that I did not have one. I think I will have to do my main work on the mac Book Pro and just use the G4 for Web, emails, music, etc. All the best.