black screen of death.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Monyyy93, May 16, 2009.

1. Monyyy93 macrumors newbie

Monyyy93

once upon a time i went to sleep, so did my macbook pro. i woke up the next day to find my mac dead, not as as in dead dead but as in "screen dead". i thought it was a problem with the display itself but it wasn't. i went to the apple store and they told me my mac's logic board is dead for some reason because an apple update. they said the repair will be free of charge and the replacement will cost me a max of 150 usd for customs and such because the logic board will be imported from the US to egypt (where i currently live) the catch is i have to WAIT FOR 10 WEEKS for the papers to go thru and for my new logic bored to arrive, till then i am stuck with using this "windows 98" computer while i wait. not to mention i won't be able to finish my work or even play WoW at all. sometimes the screen lights up if i am lucky but recently it never does AT ALL. now what should i do, should i just pass up my computer for a new one, give it to a family member who lives in the US to get it repaired for free, or suffer and wait for 2 MONTHS and 10 DAYS ? >.>. i am completely pissed u know, this is my first mac and i have lived peacefully with it for like 1yr and a half so what do i do?..... i really need help and i am seriously going crazy.

2. mokeiko macrumors 6502

Did you update to 10.5.7? If so, read this. Your logic board may not be dead. I had the same problem when I updated to 10.5.7. You have to get access to another mac, connect them with a firewire cable. Start up your mac pressing the "T" key, this will enable you mac to start in target disk mode. On the other mac, insert the Leopard install cd and install a new OSX on your target disk mac. When you're done, shut down both macs and disconnect the Firewire cable and boot up your mac.

The fact that a 10.5.7 update can kill your logic board sound ridiculous to me, but hey, what do I know. Try this first before sending in your mac for repair. Zapping your PRAM/VRAM, resetting your SMC will do nothing to get your screen back on from what I experienced. Hope this helps.

All of a sudden, macbook video cards/logic boards die at almost the same time the 10.5.7 update shows up. I am so disappointed with Apple for this update and the fact the almost everything that comes out of the Apple Genius's mouth is "your logic board and/or video card is dead" without actually testing it is appalling. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I still got the black screen. I even installed 10.5.5 without updating to 10.5.6 and got the black screen when I rebooted. It seems the damage was already done to my video card/logic board with the 10.5.7 update which i think included a firmware update. So no matter what version of Leopard I installed (10.5.5, 10.5.6, 10.5.7), the black screen occurred. Thanks Apple.

mokeiko

3. Monyyy93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Monyyy93

a glimmer of hope?

MAN i wish u r right >.<. i am going to try this asap, seeing there are no macs nearby and the nearest apple store is like and hour a way(can't determine the distance:p) so yea. keeping my fingers crossed^^ wish me luck:)