Black screen of death

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teamturbo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. teamturbo macrumors member

My 2.16 (2006) 24" iMac seems to have a problem. The white light on the bottom right hand side stays on when the computer is turned on. Screen is black. No sound during start up. Fans spool up. I think I hear the hard drive.

From the research I've done it's the logic board. It's obviously not under warranty. I don't plan on spending $100 for a diagnostic which leads me to the same conclusion.

Quick question - is it possible that my internal battery has died and could lead to this problem? I plan on resetting my PRAM once I get a wired keyboard but I'm very doubtful that will do anything if the board is dead. If you have any suggestions or thoughts on a solution let me know. Logic boards for a 2.16 easily run for $350-550 on Ebay.

2. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Sounds like a bad logic board, mate.

Habitus :apple:

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yep. Its a Logic Board failure. When I had mine replaced in my iMac, it would have costed about $700 to $900 - AppleCare Covered it. But this is the same situation that happened to me. The screen would be black and the light would be on. I did all kinds of resets but nothing worked.