Black screen on boot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MoodyM, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I just bought a new i5 Mac Mini (Radeon HD 6630M gfx card), and have installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp.

Everything went fine, Windows installed, loaded up, and I ran the Boot Camp software, all my sounds, gfx drivers, network drivers, etc, all kicked in and everything was great.

Until I rebooted for the 1st time.

Window won't boot - I just get a black screen. I don't even see the splash screen/logo.

I did a bit of Googling, which suggested deleting all files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers starting with "ati" and "nv", to get back to a basic gfx driver, then boot Windows and install the latest ATi driver from their site. I did that from OS X (I have an NTFS driver installed so I can modify files on my Boot Camp partition), and then Windows booted fine, with the basic gfx driver. I downloaded and installed the very latest ATi driver, rebooted, and low and behold; black screen again!

I rebooted into OS X Lion to try the same trick, except this time there are no files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers starting with "ati" or "nv"

Any ideas?

2. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

It seems the gfx card thing was a co-incidence - just out of interest I tried disconnecting my hfs+ formatted 2.5TB USB drive and hfs+ formatted 500GB USB drive (both of which i use when logged into OS X Lion), and Windows 7 boots fine!