black screen on dell u2711 with MBPR late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yuenzhi11, Oct 15, 2016.

1. yuenzhi11 macrumors newbie

hi guys, i have recently purchased a Dell U2711 monitor to use as an external monitor for my Macbook Pro Retina 13(Late 2012).

The reason i wanted this monitor because of its resolution(2560x1440).

I bought a mini display port to display port adapter to connect to the monitor but all i get is black screen from the monitor.

However on my MBPR, it seems that it recognised the monitor because under system preference->displays, the arrangement pops up and i am able to arrange my display position, and when i clicked mirror display it shows that my MBPR is connected to the monitor(as per screenshot below) and i was able to choose the 2560x1440 resolution. Even if i changed the resolution to 1080p/720p, the monitor continue to show black screen( it shows no connection to display port)

I have tried using HDMI cables, it worked perfectly.

I am on the latest firmware(10.12) sierra

PS: Typo on the title, its late 2012 not 2011

May I know how can i resolve this problem ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Would seem to be either a defective DisplayPort cable or a defective DisplayPort input on the monitor. Do you have any means of ruling either out?

3. yuenzhi11 thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately i don't have another monitor to test that out. just want to make sure its not a software problem before purchasing another adapter