black screen on Macbook Pro retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rove, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Rove macrumors member

Just got a base Macbook Pro retina and it seems that once in a while my screen just goes black but I can still see the mouse cursor and the screen comes back a few second later. This seems to happen randomly. Last time I was just browsing the forums, another time when playing music on iTunes.

Any one else having this issue. I am coming from a mba and never experienced this type of issue.

2. Rove thread starter macrumors member

Want to run a memory test, Can anyone recommend a good one?

3. buetts macrumors newbie

Same problem here. OS 10.7.4

According to the Apple Hardware test everything is groovy.
    This looks like a typical Frame-buffer issue to me. Software Problem. Well known from my old Linux-days.
    I guess we have to wait a view days. Mountain Lion is on its way.
    If the Problem is not solved with the new OS i am calling the Apple Support right away.

4. llirik macrumors member

llirik

even with mountain lion and 10.8.1 this problem is still present. happening like 3 times a day now.

5. cc2636 macrumors newbie

Similar issue

It just started yesterday and it has happened twice today. If I recall right, the computer was in sleep mode, I woke it and seconds later the computer blacked out for a few seconds. I have a MacBook Pro 2012, OS10.8.1.

Any suggestions?

6. splott macrumors newbie

Just had exactly this happen for the first time. MacBook was asleep. Woke it. Browsed for about 30 seconds, then the screen went black. After about 30 seconds of near panic - I just replaced a 4 year-old 17" MBP with the nVidia chipset issue which went to sleep and never woke up again - it came back again and I had to re-enter my password as if it had just woken from sleep.

7. lorcar macrumors member

SAME problem here with my retina, after so many years

ANY IDEA/SOLUTION?