Black screen on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michelnok, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Michelnok macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My MacBook Pro doesn't show anything on a screen anymore.
    After powering it up, I hear fans and startup sound, but that is all. No picture both on internal screen and on external monitor.
    It is late 2007 MacBook Pro 17". I tried resetting PRAM and SMC, but with no effect.
    Unfortunatelly, we don't have Apple support in this country, so any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

2. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

4. Michelnok thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I read about that problem. It is strange that the graphics card didn't show any symptom of breakdown before (no artifacts, etc.), during all these years. Also, it somehow broke on start or on shutdown (today I turned off the notebook as usual, moved it to another place and it didn't start). GPU was definitely not overloaded :)
    Unfortunatelly, I'm in Ukraine, there is no any Apple representative here, to replace the broken part :(

I just found that the notebook boots successfully (but without any video signal), so it is not HDD problem. I'm able to login to it remotely, via vnc://.
    By the way, it shows that it has Intel GMA X3100 video card (!), without monitor (actually, of course, it has nVidia 8600M).