Black screen on second reboot installing win 7 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mindquest, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mindquest macrumors regular

Imac I7 (weeek 49)

Imac has all the updates before I partitioned with bootcamp (52 GB) I inserted a Win 7 Pro 32 bit disc (OEM from newegg). It installed windows and auto rebooted, windows came up and auto booted again. All I got was a black screen, I think it just turned off. I tried powering the machine on and booted to windows, but a message asking if I wanted to boot normally or go into safe mode.

Does anyone have an idea why I can't get past this step?

Thanks in advance!

2. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

I spent the early morning deleting the partition and redoing it from scratch. I found this guide
    http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/02/an-illustrated-guide-to-boot-camp-and-windows-7/
    and used it as well as the official Apple bootcamp guide.

On the tuaw guide I get to this page showing "Set-up will continue after restarting your computer" but when I reboot I don't get the "Set-up is checking video performance" it is a black screen, I do hear the drive so I think it is running just without anything on the display. I have a Imac 27" I7(week 49). Could there be a display setting issue?

UPDATE: This article showed me how to delete the old ATI driver so the display would show.

http://geekswithblogs.net/ajames/ar...an-imac-and-windows-7-rtm-ndash-and-have.aspx

The solution is as follows:

1. Install and Blue screen!
    2. Re-boot but from the Win 7 install disk – seems to work if you hold alt on boot up and select the disk to boot from!
    3. When you get into the Windows installer, click past the language selection. Then click "Repair your computer".
    4. Windows will scan for installations and prompt you with a list. Select your "C" drive and click Next.
    5. You should be presented with a windows titled "System Recovery Options". At the bottom of this list you should see "Command Prompt". Select the command prompt.
    6. When the console opens, you can delete the offending driver using the following command:
    DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ati*.sys worked well on 27" iMac
    7. Close the command prompt window and click the Restart button. This time, boot from your hard disk. You will complete the install with no Blue screen.