Black screen randomly happening...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattspost, Oct 7, 2009.

1. mattspost macrumors newbie

Help.. anyone?? :confused:

My Macbook pro running Tiger 10.4.11 is now starting to randomly, what seems like shut the screen down, and just go to a black screen.

I am running my macbook pro, plugged into the AC / Mains, with another monitor connected, when the macbookpro screen goes black the dual monitor stays up and running, I can even do the mirror screen from the actual macbook pro and run it on the dual monitor and its running perfectly (I hope this makes sense!).

Its really odd and only started in the last few days.. it lasts about 30seconds at a time and is starting to worry me!

Any answers to this??

All the best,
    Matt.

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Is it black as in totally black or black as in very very very very very very dark but still there?

3. mattspost thread starter macrumors newbie

There could be a chance that it is very very very very very very very dark... to the point where it looks black.

Why is that?

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Or in a similar vein, is the black a very deep translucent black or more of an opaque black?

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If you can still see things, it could be a messed up backlight, a messed up I/O part of the logic board, or a messed up inverter.

6. mattspost thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... don't think I can see things, I have looked very closely and as i say its still showing the desktop if i mirror it to the dual-screen.

"is the black a very deep translucent black or more of an opaque black" - Are you kidding me or serious?? lol

7. uzar macrumors newbie

I am having a very similar (if not the same) problem. Today I noticed my Macbook Pro screen turning black out of nowhere.

I am using my Macbook with a second monitor, disconnecting it and plugging it back in made the Macbook screen go back to normal. The second monitor did not turn black, only my Macbook screen did.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

8. mattspost thread starter macrumors newbie

I took mine to the apple store yesterday and the guy at the genius bar told me it is this fault: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Apple will fix it for free as it is a known issue.. so my first bit of advice is to take it to the apple store and they will run a free test and let you know what the problem is..

Hope that helps!
    All the best,
    Matt.

9. uzar macrumors newbie

Hmm, nope, this is not me. I should have mentioned I have a Unibody model, late 2008, 15" with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor.

10. mattspost thread starter macrumors newbie

Just book an appointment at the apple store and they will tell you what is wrong.