black screen starting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webjeff, Aug 2, 2012.

1. webjeff macrumors member

So,

I've noticed a few times using my retina macbook pro that when I logged into my name, the screen would go black and do nothing. I'd have to hard shut down, turn it on and log into guest, then log-out to log-in to my account.

Has this happened with other people? I am up to date on ML.

Thanks
    Jeff.

2. dsciel macrumors regular

I think it's a bug that a black screen occurs after log in,, but it only flashes like 1-2 sec... I Have not encounter that it stays black

3. webjeff thread starter macrumors member

No,

Mine doesn't flash. Mine stays black, I've waited for a few minutes before having to hard shutdown.

Jeff.

4. keyben85 macrumors newbie

Same problem here for a couple of days. Still in chat with the applecare people.
    These are my experiences:

After some experiment I have to say that the external monitor or changing resolution is not the problem.

I've installed mountain lion again (clean install) So format the drive, install from the installer in the appstore en got a fresh mountain lion install in 20 minutes.

Then I didn't changed any option or plug other hardware on it and restarted the system. After filling my password at the login --> black screen . After 2 attempts, the 3 time I got my desktop.

Again erased the HD but installing a copy of lion. Same procedure. I've restarted it 10 times, waited, put in a external monitor and etc. Never got a black screen.

No clue here....

5. deerfaced macrumors regular

there's a few posts on this... here and on the apple forums.

As far as I can tell it is to do with not having auto login on (having multiple accounts) though I updated the recently posted firmware, and booted into safe mode and turned on auto graphics card switching at the same time as each other and I haven't ran into the issue since.

6. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Deerfaced,

Can you elaborate on your method of trying to fix this?

I am having issues with bootup and black screen. It takes several reboots until my RMBP finally kicks in.

Just a more detailed tutorial on what you did?

7. Razzz macrumors member

I have had the exact same issue with my computer, i have to log into the guest account then log off and into my main.... the sceen just stays black otherwise...

Sigh, this is anoying. :mad:

8. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Called Apple Care. They are aware that several people are reporting this issue with their MBP.

They had me reset my PRAM and another hardware reset command that involved the shift and option key.

Told me to keep an eye on it for a few days.

If it continues they told me to take it to the Apple store for an exchange.

9. kirky1234 macrumors member

Same issue here. Didn't happen the last few day though, although I didn't change anything... Weird stuff...
    Showing someone your brand-new rMBP and then it freezes when logging in is strange ;)
    Hope for a fix!

10. webjeff thread starter macrumors member

kirky,

That's exactly what happened to me, lol. I was like, well.. that usually doesn't happen haha! For 2k+ it better not happen that much!

It hasn't happened to me in a bit.

Jeff.