Black screen when graphics card switches on MBP

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Hi all,

Since installing Mojave, after disconnecting an external monitor from my MacBook pro, whenever an application requires the dedicated graphics card the screen just goes black.

After a restart the problem is fixed until an external monitor is plugged in & out again.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I usually work with both screens, non-mirrored. The external monitor is HDMI connected.

I've not found anyone else with this issue so I guess I'll have to try a re-install to see if that helps!

Big Ron

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
United Kingdom
Not criticising you, and can understand why your about to do it, it seems awfully “final” to have to do a clean install every time as the only solution to fix something. Mojave shouldn’t need drastic measures to sort something as simple as connecting to external monitors. Just saying.

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
I'm having this same issue on a 2018 TBMBP. Screen goes black when an app activates the discrete graphics. Reboot fixes the issue. Never had an external monitor connected to this mac. Running 10.14.6. Issue started several months back. DGPU on its way out? AppleCare requires an update to Catalina before they'll troubleshoot the issue beyond NVRAM/SMC reset. Anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.