Black screen with pointer after screen goes black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AceGuy78, Aug 26, 2014.

1. AceGuy78 macrumors member

AceGuy78

I believe this problem has been brought up before but I am yet to find a solution. It seems well known that some of the Retina Macbook Pros will have a black screen with a pointer when trying to wake the machine seconds after the screen turns black.

I just took my computer to Apple for the aforementioned problem and they replaced the logic board. Needless to say, the problem still persists and I can't seem to find a solution.

Has anyone had any luck with this problem?

Thanks

2. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I made a post about this about 2 days ago, and I've come to find out the issue is with Spotify. While the program was on, and I would have the same problem, and when I closed it, the problem would go away. They released an update yesterday that seemed to have resolved the problem, since I haven't encounter the issue again with the software opened.

3. AceGuy78 thread starter macrumors member

AceGuy78

Unfortunately this can't be this issue as I do not have spotify downloaded on my computer

4. Angriff macrumors member

I have the same issue on my 2014 15" rMBP and also don't use Spotify. I assumed it was some kind of software issue and was hoping it would go away with the upgrade to Yosemite in a few weeks, but now I'm starting to wonder if i should do an exchange while I'm still within the 14 day window. I'm happy with the screen and I got the Samsung SSD though so I'm not sure I want to enter the lottery over what might be a software issue.

5. Angriff macrumors member

Since others reported stuff as simple as quitting an app fixing this, I decided to try just restarting my system. It seems to have fixed the issue, at least so far. Tested it both with a hot corner and lowering to 1 minute and waiting for display sleep, both ways the black screen with cursor was gone as the system woke up instantaneously.

6. konradsa macrumors regular

Wow, just ran into this today a couple of times as well. Every time it did, Citrix receiver was up and running, so I was blaming it on that.