Black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lookout, Apr 23, 2012.

1. lookout macrumors newbie

My MacBook pro screen is black. It's about an '05 or '06 so well used and im not really sure where i was with Specs, os, updates etc, and I can't look anything up right now while I'm getting the black screen. I've tried the reboot options listed on the troubleshoot pag (with shift, alt and alt-p-r) with no discernible effect. I don't have a boot disk so that is not an option. Computer is turning on -- fans on, keyboard lights up, cap lock green light toggles on and off etc. I've also tried an external screen (dvi to VGA adapter to VGA to tv screen). External is my tv pc jack and it will say no device connected yet then the source button on the tv is non-responsive as though it is getting the computer's black screen. I also have an iPad but I haven't found a way to hook it up as second/primary screen that doesn't require me setting up the system from the computer-- which I can't see the screen to do.

So I'm thinking I'm in recovery mode --ironically i was just checking out the new macs the day before this happened. My last backup was feb so I have maybe two photoshoots I'd like to retrieve and just a check to see that I have everything else. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. Do I just pull the drive and attach it to another computer? Replace the motherboard? ... also any ideas for other options to try to see the screen long enough to do a last backup would be appreciated. Thanks much

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

You can plug the laptop into another Mac via the Firewire port, and then hold down 't' when you switch the laptop on to put it in target disk mode. The laptop turns into an external disk drive and you should be able to retrieve your files.

3. lookout thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Gomff. I don't have access to another Mac right now so I'll have to wait til I do to try this out.