black screen!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ger32, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ger32 macrumors newbie

My iTouch is about one month old and after launching the home screen hundreds and hundreds of times, yesterday, out of the blue, it just would not start (boot) to the home screen or any screen. I pressed the sleep-button, both short and held it long and nothing happened. I pressed the round home-screen button at the bottom, long and short duration, and nothing happened. I pressed both buttons at the same time both short time and long time and nothing happened. I then tried adding the charge cord---it then started and would work just fine until I hit the sleep button and then it wouldn't boot. It wouldn't boot after sleeping it whether the charge cord was in or not. FINALLY, after just about to give up and bring back for credit, I booted it by plugging in the charge cord, as I had done a few times before....and then I held the sleep button down till it the power off slide came on....I waited a while and held the sleep button down and it re-booted. It has been working just fine for all of today. I am now wondering if I have a defective iPodTouch and should take it back for credit or if I will luck out and not happen again.

A seach of this forum did not show much--

Any suggestions/comments/help?

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

possibly

Have you downloaded a bunch of applications in a row with no restart? Could have been a memory hog app or 2 apps not getting along right after download.

If it's convenient, a visit to the Genius Bar with that story might prove worthwhile if for no other reason but to establish a history with them.

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I would connect it to iTunes and perform a 'Restore' if it happens again.

4. ger32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.

I hadn't downloaded a whole lot at all. I don't listen to music much with my poor hearing. I am a newbie....where/what is the Genius Bar?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Genius Bar is the tech support section at an Apple Store. The tech support people are called "Genius."

I'm not sure what not listening to music much has to do with downloading apps -- they are two totally different things. In any case, if you haven't downloaded many apps and you haven't loaded much music and you had this problem, then if there's an Apple Store near you, I'd take it in and have tech support take a look at it. You need to make an appointment before you go, check this for more info. http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Its a place where a bunch of minimum wage tech support people try to help you with your iPod problems and end up giving you a replacement for anything they don't understand.

7. ger32 thread starter macrumors newbie

After writing you, I Googled it and found what it was. Their location list doesn't include Canada....shucks!