Black spec on iPhone 6 Plus camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silentblades, May 19, 2017.

1. silentblades macrumors newbie

My wife noticed it today on her phone. It appears when taking pics or video on rear camera only. Any ideas? Any clue what Apple might charge to fix it?

Thanks IMG_1626.JPG

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I am assuming its debris of some sort stuck on the camera lens covers.

In your case, I don't think Apple will repair the issue. They likely will just replace the iPhone with a white box replacement.

How long have you owned the iPhone?

3. silentblades thread starter macrumors newbie

A little over a year. Nothing on the outer lens. It must be internal.

4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Thats dust or something else under the camera lens, happened to me twice on the 4S and 5 times on the iPhone 5, hadn't really seen it lately though. In every case apple assured me they had never seen it before and gave me a replacement device ( this was within warranty period).

If you get a nice genius they may take apart the phone and simply spray it with compressed air to get whatever it is off for free.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would not doubt it's embedded somehow internally on the lens cover. I think if you make a genius appointment with Apple and they physically can see it, they might work something out with you where they give you a replacement device. That would be my advice.

6. silentblades thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I have a feeling I'll be paying to get it fixed. I'll find out Wednesday. Depending on the price I may just say screw it and get 7 plus.

7. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Actually it might be able to move around, especially if you give the phone a hard tap on a surface (NOT RECOMMENDED WITH THE 6 PLUS AND TOUCH DISEASE) I had issues exactly like this and I was usually able to get it to move around. It was incredibly annoying because the genius would give me the replacement device, and I could see the dust in the corner, but they wouldn't replace it until it was actually blocking the photo.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    This issue drove me absolutely insane, but every time the genius was incredibly nice (and trust me i've had awful experiences) so on this issue they seem to be pretty willing to help.

8. silentblades thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this one is definitely screwing up photo ops.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If it can be dislodged from its current position, perhaps Apple might deem it to be fine to use. But judging from that photo, I would be willing to bet they would offer replacement device if the debris can't be dislodged. I think 'Silent blades' has a strong case of getting the device replaced.

And I think you will find out, every Apple store Varies on experiences and it depends on who you interact with sometimes. But I would be interested to know the outcome of the situation.

10. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Oh I don't disagree, I've driven miles further to avoid a specific Apple store because the genius's were incredibly condescending at the one closest to me, and that why I have hope for this. At every store I visited for this problem (at it was a lot, I got embarrassed at the amount of phones that I was having to take it because of the problem so I started going to different ones) they were incredibly helpful with it. I'm very interested to see how this turns out though, this issue is what got me to skip the 5S and try Android.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apples customer service isn't consistent all the way through, but most times it's fairly good. But every store experience will vary and they usually are able to resolve any problems.

12. silentblades thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an appointment at the Domain in Austin. I'll post update with what they say. As far as dislodging nope it ain't moving.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I predict they will give you a replacement device once they see it. Should be a success story.

14. silentblades thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Try shaking and slamming the phone to your palm,might make it fall away from the lens. Another tip is either have phone replaced or use repair pencils in Photoshop or pixelmator.

16. Emmie123 macrumors newbie

Emmie123

dust in ur camera ..go to engineer they clear it

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is not on the lens but directly on the sensor. If on the lens it would be out of focus where if on the sensor it will be sharp. Reminds me of my old DSLR days where things like this were easy to clean.

Some have had luck by hitting the phone on the edge at the corner to see if you can get it to fall off the sensor, but some junk seems to weld itself into the sensor and it makes getting it off hard without access.

18. silentblades thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried tapping it but no luck. If u use zoom feature it goes away. I can actually watch it slide off screen when I zoom in.