Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanboi4lyfe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'd like to know what constitutes as regular wear-and-tear and abuse. Apple needs to understand that a watch is worn on the wrist. They even said themselves that it's the most personal device they've ever created. Unless you work in an industrial environment where you dip your wrist in chemicals or into spaces with lots of sharp things, it's hard to "abuse" a watch worn on the wrist. Sure you can accidentally rub the screen on a wall, or drop the watch on concrete; these are all typical accidents that any watch face that should not be covered by warranty. But a peeling watch band after several days of ownership? Not to mention, it is advertised as a sport band.

Here is the internal Apple document referred by broadbean. Thanks.
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-watch-damage-covered-warranty/
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple...rmation-of-sport-and-leather-bands-over-time/

Yeah I think that part of this system is very flawed. It's up to the Genius rep that you get, and as demontrated above from your conversation can really throw off the entire proccess based on one person at Apple.

I think that if its marketed as a "sport" band than obviously people will be doing more intensive workouts or even just daily activities with it. Either make it more durable or clearly define what is not regular wear-and-tear. I haven't bothered to get any other bands besides one additional sport band because when a newer model comes out, there is no guarentees that it is going to be compatible. Even though I would love to pick up a ML or LL.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its kind of a disappointment to see that apple is still having this issue with the black sports band, I was going to order a green band along with the watch, which may hold up better. I was re-thinking that choice but now that I see this thread, the green sports band may be the way to go.

fanboi4lyfe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Chicago, IL
Its kind of a disappointment to see that apple is still having this issue with the black sports band, I was going to order a green band along with the watch, which may hold up better. I was re-thinking that choice but now that I see this thread, the green sports band may be the way to go.

If you like the white color, that one has held up really nicely for me. No issues at all. I think the Black band, if ordered/picked up at the right time, can hold its own to the other bands. It honestly seems like a toss up

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
white is not my color, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll be ordering the black band but I'll probably grab a green band as well. I also have a monowear nylon band on order, I'm waiting for that to be processed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.