Black Spot in the iP4 Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ski2moro, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Did I miss a discussion about this?

After 6 weeks of good photos, I have a black spot in my Camera app and photos. I cleaned the lens until it is spotless. If I look at the lens with an 8x lupe, I can see some minor dust under the glass, but I’m assuming it has been there since the beginning. I’m not OCD about dust.

The spot is about 1/4 inch in diameter on the screen, darker in the center and fading on the edges.
    The spot is only visible in Camera. It’s not a screen issue.
    The spot is visible in still photo.
    The spot is visible with video, but the spot appears bigger.
    Not happening in the front-facing camera, so it appears to be in the rear lens.
    It happens with and without flash. Inside and outside. Bright light and low light.

iPhone 4 ios 4.1 (not JB)
    Bumper
    No screen protector

I really don’t want to restore and reinstall everything from new unless it is necessary. Do you think this is software or hardware?

Holy crap, how do I make this photo smaller?

[​IMG]

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Is taking it to Apple not an option? They should have no problem replacing it...

3. ski2moro thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, I can take it back. I was just asking if it is a known software issue first. I have a looming deadline on a project and really don't want any other distractions at the moment.

If I spend the time to restore and it is a known hardware issue, I don't want to waste my time doing that either.

Unfortunately, I have had to replace several iPhones - each one for a different valid reason. Fortunately, the Apple Care Tier 2 people have promised me a new (new in box with charger and cables) one if I have one more problem.

This iPhone has been flawless so far and if it is a simple fix, I would rather just restore, if that is all it takes. Is it something that 4.2 will fix? I'll wait.

4. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604