Black spots

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by archdelux, Oct 19, 2011.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone else notice these very tiny black spots that get stuck on the screen?..I don't have a screen protector or anything..but I can't get these marks off and I'm afraid of scratching the screen. It's almost as if dust particles are getting trapped under the screen itself .what can I wipe it with?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

First you got to determine if it IS dust or debris under your screen. If so there is nothing you can wipe it with to remove without taking your phone apart.

If it is really on top of the screen it should remove with just a lightly moist/damp soft cloth. Beware there is a special coating on the touch screen.

You need to look very closely to see which it is:eek:

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If it's under the glass, there's nothing you can do other than get it replaced. The glass is fused to the screen, so taking it apart isn't going to help.

4. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the replies. I think it is actually dust under the screen...but apparently the new iPhones have the screen fused with the LCD so I guess it can't be dust, right (given that it is a new development)..maybe a dead pixel?

I guess I'll try to exchange it unless someone has better ideas.

Is this common?

5. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question..can I keep it for a while and then return it if it still bothers me? How long do I have to return it to the apple store for another?

I bought it from AT&T delivered on the 14th

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I have a 3gs and on multiple occasions i will get what looks like a dead pixel on my phone or possibly a piece of dirt. It doesn't quite look like its a pixel (like its too far away from the rest like in the middle of the glass?) and i try and scratch it off but nothing happens. After awhile i stop noticing it and it eventually is gone.

I also don't have a screen protector.

I've had this phone over a year and its happened about 4 or 5 times.

Unexplainable to me but like i said they've all gone away sooner or later.

7. Colin Len macrumors newbie

I noticed something on my new 4S as well. Looked like a small piece of lint or a smudge but I couldn't wipe it off. It's gotta be in/under the glass/screen. Doesn't quite look like a dead pixel since it's not perfectly round and isn't well defined in it's shape. I'm hoping I can get a replacement, because now that I found it I can't stop looking at it.

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You have a 1 year warranty.

9. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

YES! that's exactly it.. it is not deep in the screen, but just under the surface and i can't scratch it off.. so it just goes away??

Maybe I should wait before trying to exchange...how long do i have to exchange?

----------

thanks..so the warranty will cover this then even if I don't report it immediately?

10. LiveFreeDie macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the exact same issue with my 4S. I'm just waiting till my AT&T store gets some black 32gb models in stock to replace it.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

As long as you are in the warranty period I don't see why they wouldn't.