Black SS Envy

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacPioneer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. MacPioneer, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

MacPioneer macrumors member

I have a Space Gray sport watch on order (June ship), along with a black Leather Loop band (May ship). Every time I look at the absolutely gorgeous Black Stainless Steel watch with the black link band (July ship) I'm tempted to cancel my existing orders and order that.

Am I crazy?

I'm actually a very patient person - I custom-order my cars (to get the exact color and option configuration I want) and wait the three months or so it takes to build them in Germany and barge them across the pond. I can wait for an Apple Watch.

Is the black stainless steel sufficiently better than the Space Gray Sport (with a decent band) to be worth the additional wait (and twice the price)?

2. iregret macrumors 6502

If I had the money I would have went with the Stainless Steel Space Grey.

3. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

That is exactly whit I did, but I have to wait till July for mine!

My SG watch should be here in the next few days though

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It's really very personal. I am a bit like you, that few hundred dollar is not a problem for me, and I really like that Black SS version. So I ordered one on 10th Apr and wait (expected deliver on Jun).

In terms of function, of course they are the same. However, if we just talk about function. The Rolex do not really do anything better than a $5 cheap plastic electronic watch. Both of them can only show the time basically.

So, why people willing to pay more? Just because of it's looking, brand, material, etc (most of the time, it's nothing to do with functions). And of course, the buyer can afford it.

Therefore, I go for the Black SS. It's looks better to me, and use better material. IMO, sapphire glass is a much better option, and I personally prefer metal band rather than any other material.

5. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

For me as watch fan (and collector) I needed the sapphire glass, but I would have liked the option on the black SS with a sport band but this way the watch will be more exclusive and easier to sell when the gen 2 is released

6. gecko20 macrumors regular

I bought a black sport band too, so I have (will have) the link bracelet an the sport

7. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

Me too but I would rather have not had to buy the link until I know it will hold up to everyday use!
    As if it scratches easy it's a waste of over £400!

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Recommend you go and see it in store, in my opinion it looks a lot better in pictures than it does in the flesh.

Though its all personal choice, if you love it, and can afford it, get it!

9. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

None of the stores near me have one so its a risk but if I don't like I will just get an alternate

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I was going to get one but the band was like waxing! I almost cried!!!!

11. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

Just to let you guys know I'm going for a fitting for the SBSS 42mm tomorrow as I have said before I have that and the SG one on order so am trying them both on to see what I prefer
    Let me know if you have any questions you want me to ask also I will send pics

12. stevenrianto macrumors newbie

Please check the links. is it too light. does it have scratch marks. is the DLC worth the cost.
    how about the magnet in the links? can it take a heavy abuse of daily resizing?
    how's the connecting link in the bracelet is it flimsy or not, and how strong is the link bracelet.
    does it feel like a hollow stainless link bracelet or like a full stainless steel.

13. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

A friend tried on the silver stainless link watch on launch day and he said it's very heavy, I normally wear either a tag or one of my Omega divers watches so I'm used to heavy watches and it's what I like
    My concern is the durability as I have seen what titanium watches look like after a few months!

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Waxing?

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Pulling hairs.

16. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I want a black stainless but don't like there is only one band option. That's a lot of money for a watch I'm not sure how much I'll like it. I think they are only limited because apparently they aren't produced quickly.

17. wileycoyote macrumors member

Not sure what your friend tried on, but the link band is definitely not on the heavy side. The watch I wear daily (a titanium Tag aquaracer w/ rubber band) felt heavier on my wrist. I was amazed at how light the link band was.

18. Lfcdan23 macrumors member

I think it's because he bought the SG sport so the watch as a whole is a lot lighter, my every day watch is a day date aquracer with stainless steel strap and that will be a lot heavier than the SBSS I'm looking forward to seeing the real thing

19. ggab macrumors member

I loved it when I tried it on. Oki feel the regular stainless will scratch easily. DLC should help that.

Attached Files:

20. Wallabe, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I'll let the picture do the talking. :cool:

[​IMG]

I didn't get the SS black. I got the SS silver instead. It'll work with alot more bands, and I still can wear a silver link band. The black looks sleeker, but the silver SS link band is appropriate in a professional setting. It's all personal, so get what you like and can afford.

21. stevenrianto macrumors newbie

Is that 38mm? what is your wrist size?

22. Wallabe, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's the 38mm. My wrist is 175mm in circumference and 60mm width.

Pictures are actually deceiving. The black SS, including the case, make it seem like it is the perfect size, but if you consider the screen size, it may be small for some people. The silver SS case actually blends in with most people's skin, so that's why the watch seem to look smaller in person. The polished silvery case reflects the environment and the skin, so only the black glass display stands out. The whole black SS case and it's display is all black.

In the picture I shared, the watch size is actually perfect, because my wrist width is 60mm. Golden ratio is 37mm, so the 38mm case is close to perfect. If you can read on the 42mm, you can read on the 38mm, the size isn't that much difference. It's mainly the overall look of the case itself that is probably most important, whether it actually look undersize, oversize, or just right. It's not like you're not comparing the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 Plus, where the screen size difference is significant.

Look at these two pictures. You can tell the silver SS seem to look smaller than the black SS. The black color has a bolder contrast, thus making it seem bigger, even though both are the same exact size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the rest of it:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1865864

23. stevenrianto macrumors newbie

Wow. i thought that 38mm is small. But it seems that with black border instead of polished stainless, it look bigger. It reminds me of Rado.

24. herb666 macrumors newbie

25. Wallabe, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

It could be a perspective difference based on distance. The most important is that how it looks to the person wearing it. It may seem to look fine from a distance, but if it look oversize like a gadget rather than a watch while seeing it on my own wrist, I wouldn't find it perfect.

These pictures were taken about 10-12 inches from the camera, which is approximately the same distance I would actually look at the watch if I had my wrist raised to see it.

On a far enough distance, I can strap an iPhone 6 on my wrist and it would look fine.