Black stain suddenly appeared on Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toneLA2, Feb 5, 2014.

1. toneLA2 macrumors member

Hi MR folks,

I came home tonight to find something I am 100% sure wasn't there before. Trust me, I inspected the screen like it was the end of the world when I got it.

It's quite faint, especially through the camera lens, but there is some sort of a stain developing on my Retina screen. I thought it was a fingerprint at first (even though I don't ever touch the display) so I wiped it down - alas, it's still there.

It's roughly the size of a dime, right in the middle of the display on the right.

I know I'm probably gonna answer my own question - this isn't 'normal' and should be looked at by a Genius Bar associate. But quite frankly, I'm about fed up with their sub-par screens. I went through multiple exchanges due to papyrus bottom half, pretty-in-pink upper corner and black line out of the box. I've escalated each issue at the time with Apple CS. They promised me a full refund if I were to ask for one outside of the 14-day if I am not fully satisfied.

Obviously, I'm not satisfied at this point - it's a bit too expensive for my liking, especially since I bought the computer for its screen, not its black keyboard, and it feels like they fall short to deliver. (Or it requires a lottery I am certainly not fool enough to contemplate anymore.)

What I'd like to know, in fact, is what might this thing be? Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

A pic is attached!

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. gcrr macrumors regular

Dead pixels, maybe? Does it show on a screen shot?

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Honestly, genuinely - I can't see anything. Thats the difficulty of getting these screen assessed over the web....local decision needed.

4. gcrr macrumors regular

I can't see anything either but it sounds like dead pixels that are spreading.

5. Chatran macrumors member

Turn off the screen. Look at that spot at around 5 degree from the side of the panel. Is it still there?

6. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

No? It's only when the panel is lit. I agree it's hard to see - the camera, due to the backlighting does the white balance and fades it out. More visible with the naked eye.

I heard about 'muras'. Could this be it?

----------

I found a photo in this thread that represents exactly the same thing I have on my screen except it's not brighter, it's darker.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21552086#21552086

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry but I'm not seeing anything either :confused:

If you think its an issue, take into an apple store and have a genius check it out.

8. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Does it look like smoke a little? Like faint fingerprints inside the display? If so it could be display corruption... happened on my wife's iMac. The problem will keep getting worse so get it checked out asap.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I dont see it either but I would bring it to apple if there is something wrong

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

Here - I changed the white balance so you can see exactly what I see. The camera didn't help.

I have an appointment at 3 today.

Attached Files:

13. rex450se macrumors regular

14. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

The appointment went well - they looked at it and instantly said 'mura'. The guy went in and checked what display I had on it and said 'yep, Samsung, makes sense.'
    They told me that obviously I could get a refund or another machine. I chose the exchange. Thing is, the display I now have (LG) shows some sort of light bleed on the left with greenish vertical lines - as if the backlighting was hitting certain pixel rows and not some others. I realized it when I set up the wallpaper. (the one with the forest and hills that's rather dark on that side of the display)

I'm trying to determine whether or not I want to live with that or simply call it a day.

I find that really unfortunate that there is so little consistency between panels. I'm no engineer and I understand this is an intricate manufacturing process, that no 2 panels are the same. Nonetheless, the disparity between displays ranging from pink tones, to yellow bottoms, to muddy corners, dark stains and weird backlighting is alarming. I am questioning whether this is worth over $2K or not.

I don't fault Apple vs. another brand. I know nothing of what the PC competition (if we can call it that) is able to achieve in term of high-density displays. But as a paying customer, I'm not really impressed anymore.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck, and hopefully the LG display is working better, though it doesn't appear to be the case. :(